Mantis substrate.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use moist spaghnum moss. About a half an inch deep. It comes in a dried "loaf" sold at big box hardware stores as orchid moss.

Big box hardware stores= Lowe's or Home Depot. They call it orchid moss.

I use eco earth. A kind of soil made from compressed coconut fibre. Its very clean, very easy to use and make into a moist medium, and works wonders for keeping up humidity. Oh, and also, it looks good :D

Cheers,

Ian

I use the coconut fiber stuff for my box turtle. That stuff is very messy and sticks to everything. It also dries out fast. Honestly, I hate that stuff. Good thing I never have to clean my box turltes cage out.

Coconut husk just molds up in a couple of days I only use it in Millies plant dish which she basicly feeds from and the rest is just the bottom of the tank.

I've had nothing but good luck with the coconut fiber. I agree with Ian that it does make a good moist medium, but I mist twice a day due to how dry my area is.

As for mold, the only mold problems I have is with fecal matter and left over food. I haven't had the coconut fiber itself mold.

In my experience coconut fiber products like Eco Earth mold very easily. I've had problems with it in my taratula enclosures.

I use moist spaghnum moss. About a half an inch deep. It comes in a dried "loaf" sold at big box hardware stores as orchid moss.
Hey Rick,

Do you ever have problems with feeders burrowing into the moss and hiding from the mantis?

Hey Rick,

Do you ever have problems with feeders burrowing into the moss and hiding from the mantis?
I've had that problem I think the only way around it is it to press it down and don't put too much.. even still if the cricket wants to hide it manages. :?

I had that probs with my chams, so what I started doing was putting the crix in a small cupm with a twig in. The chams would walk over to the cuo, and munch the crix as they were walking up and oof the twig. This stopped them from all hiding in the moss, worked a treat.

Cheers,

Ian

Hey Brandon, rocks aren't very absorbant, and therefore they don't hold moisture very well. Definitely go for either the coconut fiber or moss as suggested in this thread. :)

Okay, but I've found two new substrates. Repti bark(holds moisture) and calcium sand(holds moisture). Are these good substrates?