Mantis substrate.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For most species I use peat, maybe with a little vermiculate mixed in.

I've had no problems with it. For species that don't require alot of humidity (Gongys, Popa) I use ESU Lizard Litter.

What about repti bark? It holds in moisture.
Bark won't hold moisture well. Spaghnum moss is one of the best choices for mantids. It's cheap too.

Go with the moss in my view, the sand may hold moisture but not in a good way, it'll just become a breeding ground for bacteria. Moss is good at what you need, is cheaper in the long run than any other substrate, is easily managed and to top it all off it just makes it all look nice...

That looks ok but will likely dry out quicky and be a pain come cleaning time whereas the moss can just be dumped right out.

Won't the mantid's food hide under the orchid moss? I have found another substrate... desert blend lizard litter. Good substrate, or not :?:

I got some moss from Wal-Mart and it put it about an inch deep in the bottom of the cages.. but.. it dries out rather quickly.. even after soaking it. :?

I got some moss from Wal-Mart and it put it about an inch deep in the bottom of the cages.. but.. it dries out rather quickly.. even after soaking it. :?
was it spagnum moss? that keeps water for over 3 days for me

Actually you can use expanded shale, it is rock that is very porous and absorbant. Many people use it for there bonsais (including me) that live in hot regions. I have had bonsai's left out in the hot florida sun 90F+ for

a couple days potted in only this rock no soil and they were fine.

It should work as a very good substrate that will humidify your cage for days and is much easier to clean than soil and moss. If you dont like the soil and moss route try this.

I bought this stuff for about $20 for a 25lb bag shipped, that was last year though I am not sure if there prices or bag sizes have stayed the same they mainly ship in bulk.

Here is the website: http://www.hayditesoilconditioners.com/Bonsai.htm

Also you can put plants directly in this rock in your Mantid cage.

Make a Vivarium full of Bonsai's and Mantids, that would be an awesome sight. Just pick a tree that can withstand the conditions of your house (juniper, ficus, elm etc..) have it near a window with indirect sunlight. Most bonsai trees need the elements (wind, rain, sun, cold) some do not need much like the ones listed. You can use ivys, lucky bamboo (which is said to be poisonous to some animals if ingested) dont know about Mantids but since they dont eat plants it shouldnt be a problem.

The expanded shale is the only rock that I have seen that can do this.

Just keep it moist. Hope this info is useful.

What about using those thirstystone coasters that soak up water? If you wanted a particular look in your container, like sand, but that didn't stay moist enough, I mean. You could bury one of those in the sand or moss or whatever and it should keep it moist, right?

xo,

AJ

I'm telling you guys, the spaghnum moss that comes in a "loaf" is probably the best.

well since i live in Arizona, i just got some really small rocks from my bakcyard, and put that in the box i keep my mantids in, put in a few dried sticks, and they look happy to me :D the sticks make it easy for them to reach the top, where they are usually at. i mist daily, becasue the rocks dont hold water very well, but it looks good, and its not messy :)