Mantis Temperature Tolerance?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine normally don't get lower than 70 but sometimes its a couple degrees cooler. No problems here.

At least 60 degrees F. However, it does make them sluggish and slows their metabolism. I heard somewhere that keeping mantids(in the case I heard, orchid males), in too cold an environment can make them sterile. Don't know if it's true though.

I found an adult female Chinese earlier this winter after it had already frosted and snowed a few times. She only lived a few days.

I had a mismolted adult budwing mantis a while ago, i tried to end her life by putting her in the freezing, 30 minutes later, i was shock to find her alive! All tropica species can handle brief freezing temperature, but will not survive days of cold weather. However, i have heard that some species like Empusa Pennata can live though winter without food.

At least 60 degrees F. However, it does make them sluggish and slows their metabolism. I heard somewhere that keeping mantids(in the case I heard, orchid males), in too cold an environment can make them sterile. Don't know if it's true though.
yes apparently it can, i got told that one too. and female ooth production after mating can apparently be affected.