Mantis won't eat while on top of terrarium

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bug

Reaction score
I used to have a branch that my female Mantis religiosa could use to climb to the top of the terrarium, but once she got up there she would not move or eat, just stare at her prey if she even noticed it. She couldn't be molting because she just molted to adult about two weeks ago. I moved the branch down more so she couldn't get up to the top but now she always tries to climb up the glass and falls, however she eats fine now. I'm afraid that I'm stressing her out or she'll hurt herself when she falls but if I let her up there it's impossible to feed her.

What's your feeder insect? I think you can tong feed her or use flying insects.

I usually use crane flies as feeder insects but I throw a cricket in there from time to time. I'll try tong feeding her for now. Thank you.

The praying-mantis is mainly an ambush hunter and it loves to be upside down high above the ground. When she spots a potential meal, your mantis will take her hunger and the distance of the prey into account and decide whether or not she will give chase.

If eating is not a concern for the time being, your mantis will prefer to stay put than risking moving and being spotted by whatever predator that may be around (even if there's no possibility of a predator ever reaching her). She will prefer to wait for the prey to come to her. If they don't, there's always a next time.

If she's really hungry, she will actively hunt prey.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts