mantises and ants

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aje88

Reaction score
hey i am getting ready for my mantis nymphs to come.im trying to gather small creatures in the yard and im wondering if the nymps can eat the harmless sugar ant.i have had no luck with the fruit flies so wat can i feed them ants or wat.please reply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when they arive ill give you guys some pics.tommarow hopefully.ill show you when i open the box and everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ants isn't the first choice when it comes to feeding mantids. Depending on what size the nymphs are, ffs are usually your best bet. They could also go for pinhead crix. Also go outside to your backyard or park & collect small bugs like Hemipteran nymphs, mosquitoes, caterpillars & the like.

I'm sure someone here can direct you to a store that sells feeders. Good luck.

YOu can purchase fruit fly cultures.

If u have a net, sweep it along the grass or bushes and u will catch a bunch of different insects u can use!
SharkLunchSmiley.gif

When I first started I used ants until my fruit flies got here, and they decimated my S. limbatas. Keep in mind I only put like 10 in the largest sized critter keeper containers. These were just regular black tiny house ants.

Latest posts