Mantises hatched!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeCapricorn

Reaction score
Back in the fall I had a fascinating experience to mate two Deroplatys lobata. The male mounted on the female after some coaxing and they were connected for quite a long time - 14 hours, and although the male turned into little brown pellets that Angus laid in the days after, his legacy remains as so far 28 have hatched successfully with a 29th just worming out now and a 30th and likely more poking their tips out of the ooth.

I went out this afternoon and bought 30 containers, and I'm down to 4. There are still some nymphs in the main hatchery container and will probably remain over night since my hand is SORE from poking so many holes in so many lids.

With my experience with hatching two ooths from a wild-caught Chinese female last Spring, these nymphs won't eat for about a day, so tomorrow I'll feed them.

It was getting a bit lonely here since some of the old mantises and grasshoppers have been dying off. I still have one Chinese female (the other may not be dead but certainly is on her way), the two female D. lobata (One being these babies' mommy, and she is still going strong!) and the six R. basalis. As for grasshoppers, down to 3 lubbers, but I also have 2 strange Melanoplus sp. (probably ponderosa), 2 Pennsylvanian Banded Wing nymphs and 10 Georgian Banded Wing nymphs. And a wheel bug and about 38 Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches.

Haha, look at them all, with their cute antennae.

Now, for now I am going to keep all of these buggers. Some might not make it the first week - one already died since it was hanging by a thread in a worm-state without moving at all for the hour I spent taking the other 16 newly hatched mantises and putting them each in their own cup. There are a couple that have misshapen legs, but most are in great condition!

Also, I have a lot of fruit flies. My Rhombodera nymphs have outgrown D. melanogaster and have jumped right to pinhead crickets. I got a new jar just this past Thursday because I had that feeling that I might be in for a big increase in mantises.

Up to 31 after typing all of this.

I am very excited as this is the first egg-case that I am directly responsible for. I got the baby D. lobatas last spring, gave them cool names (Angus, Gnarles and Leather-Rebel) and paired Angus and LR. It's my first breeding success! Angus is also still going very strong, I haven't seen any change in the vitality of Angus or Gnarles since when they became adults in August. Angus is pretty chubby and may even lay a second ooth in the next few weeks. Gnarles already laid an ooth but she was never mated (Angus ate Leather-Rebel before Gnarles could get hitched)

congrats. I'm getting some Lobatas on tuesday as long as the weather holds up. they look so kewl.

Harry

Many more hatched out since. I'm up to around 50 now. Suddenly 26 doesn't seem so hard, whoooooo... this will be an interesting next few days.

They keep coming too... Instead of putting them all in separate containers, I'm probably going to do groups of 3 or 4 in some. This species is supposed to be communal, right?

I'll get them into their own little enclosures as time goes by. I'm probably up to 60 and there may even be as many as 70 in all. This is already the biggest hatching I've ever seen, the last one was the second wild caught Chinese mantis egg-case where about 46 came out.

They keep coming too... Instead of putting them all in separate containers, I'm probably going to do groups of 3 or 4 in some. This species is supposed to be communal, right?

I'll get them into their own little enclosures as time goes by. I'm probably up to 60 and there may even be as many as 70 in all. This is already the biggest hatching I've ever seen, the last one was the second wild caught Chinese mantis egg-case where about 46 came out.
That should be fine. I'm keeping my L1 miomantis nymphs (five in all) in the same enclosure. I seperate once they get to L2. But yours are a communal species, so they should be okay for a more than one molt together.

Last edited by a moderator:
24oz cups should be fine to hold 4 or 5 L1 nymphs. at L2 you could keep them in the same cups or transfer them to a 32oz cup to give them more space. at L3 lower the count to 2 per 24oz cup or 3 to 32oz cup. space plus food = no problem with them as far as I hear.

a big congrats on the amount. it looks like you fed the female well and it shows.

Harry