Mantisfly

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frack

Reaction score
Hi, I took some pics of a mantis fly that was hanging out at the light eating and since its such a cool unusual little bug I thought Id share them with yall.

mantisfly.jpg

100_1401.jpg

100_1420.jpg

100_1409.jpg

100_1421.jpg

Ah, somebody was blacklighting! Just got my new Honda generator. So hard to track down a mercury vapor lamp (housing) these days...but I found one!

I caught two male snakeflies in the last week...somewhat related to your mantispid there. One thing I've noticed about mantispids in the past...their eyes always reflect light beautifully from a camera flash!

Last edited by a moderator:
HI, No this isnt the same mantisfly that Yen found but Im pretty sure its the same species since it was found in the same spot and yes this is Yens light but unfortunatly there was heavy winds while Yen was here and not much showed up until later on in the night after everyone was gone. I went out this morning just before sunrise to check the light and there where 4 mantisflys all sitting on the sheet there, its was really cool to see so many to bad my camera sucks and most of the pics I took this morning werent any good but lucky for me I got a new one on the way in the mail just in time for my trip to florida :D

100_1394.jpg

100_1397.jpg

100_1461.jpg

A different mantisfly that was here this morning.

100_1464.jpg

A Thesprotia graminis that I raised from a baby, I let him go last night.

100_1416.jpg

I stayed up till 2am last night and still managed to get up before sunrise...Im so tired lol

100_1465.jpg

Great pix, especially the first one! Is this the same one that got loose in Yen's bug room? :D
Alright, I know this is COMPLETELY off the subject, but wow, I thought I was the only one in Yuma crazy enough to keep mantids.

Seriously though. Awesome pictures, Frack. I didn't know mantisflies looked so funky.

very awesome pics! dang when i saw that deer fly by the mantis tho it gave me the shivers:p i hate their bites! lol, one time it bite me on the elbow and it feel like a be sting:(

[SIZE=14pt]To kool I dont think that I have ever seen a Mantisfly in Colorado & I've seen alot of cool things. Also what kind of cam did you use?.[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts