Mantisfly

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've kept adults before but they are parasites of wolf spider eggs so they would be too hard to breed.

Wolf spiders? That's interesting.I knew they had a complex life cycles, but I guess I missed that. I guess I could have raised them when I lived in Texas. Wolf spiders reach near plague levels during the summer there.

Do any of you think it might be possible to breed them using eggs that have been frozen for storage?

Mantidflies are members of the order Neuroptera and have complete metamorphosis unlike mantids which have incomplete metamorphosis.
Their grub-like offspring look nothing like the adults and they must go through a pupal stage before looking like mantids. They're all parasitoids, but they can have differing specific host requirements.

You'll need to provide them with live hosts to develop in their larval stages because dead material will tend to decay faster than they will be able to consume it.

Latest posts