Mantoida maya

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not yet Rick, going to wait to try and collect more individuals, and then will have to send off the individuals as preserved adults to be properly identified.....but amamantodea's new find is certainly positive (hopefully it is the same species, it would make things a whole lot easier! :D )

I'll also keep looking Rick :)
Awesome. Please keep us updated. It is likely a new record.

amamantodea, show is the 20th so I would need them before the 19th.

:( Yesterday morning I found the Ancotista dead, RIP.

Probably she was at the end of her life cycle.

Well she is in the freezer for a future taxonomic ID.

Will keep looking for more.

Rick, I am looking for Gonatista g, and if I find them I will let you know asap.

:( Yesterday morning I found the Ancotista dead, RIP.

Probably she was at the end of her life cycle.

Well she is in the freezer for a future taxonomic ID.

Will keep looking for more.

Rick, I am looking for Gonatista g, and if I find them I will let you know asap.
That's too bad. Sorry to hear she died.

Sounds good, thanks.

Hello all,

Just a quick update- the original Acontista sp female is doing just fine, she is adult and laid her first (hopefully parthenogenic) ooth on 10/20/14.

ZXowYew.jpg
iCFuMgv.jpg
abNQ5TG.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Exciting Update! :clown: Just came home from a concert and I saw a handful of baby nymphs! I checked her before the concert and everything was normal, so they must be one of those uncommon species that hatches at night. :batman:

The parthenogenic ability of Aconstista has undoubtedly proven to be successful :) The ooth was laid on the 20th of Ocotber, so gestation period is a little under a month. Anybody able to send me some wingless D melanos relatively quickly? (ill make an ad too)

Update: Two preserved adult Acontista sp females are currently being ID'd by Dr. Gavin Svenson. None of the nymphs that hatched parthenogenetically, made it :( ...nonetheless, still a unique find, but I believe they are a known species (just not documented in FL before) probably from a South/Cetral American country that happened to be stow-aways...

btw, could an admin change the title of this thread to "Acontista sp found in FL" please (and thank you) ?

Latest posts