Many short connections vs one long connection

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Predatorhousepet

Reaction score
I mated my two ghost females yesterday with one male. The male has been an adult about a month and the females have been adults since May. When the male mated with the first female he was on her back about 3 hours in which he made roughly 15 short connections each lasting about 1 minute long, give or take.

20180708_142722.jpg

He would frequently turn the opposite way and clean her abdominal fins (Odd but I could have sworn he took a couple bites out of one of her fins yet she didn't react.) He would turn around, make a connection, then turn around again.

20180708_144025.jpg

After he dismounted I gave him some honey mixed with water and let him rest for a few hours before introducing him to the second female. I placed him directly on her back and almost immediately he made a connection. That was a single connection lasting about 2.5 hours. When he disconnected he dismounted almost immediately. 

20180709_040118.jpg

Is one long connection better than lots of short connections? Can I be sure he was able to fertilize the first female with these short connections or should I try to re-mate them just in case? Is waiting about 6 hours between matings enough time or should I have let him rest longer?

I think you should try again with the first female. But let the male rest longer now because he already did 2 mating sessions. (But I have no experience with Ghosts yet. Is just m feeling)

The first female that mated with many connections laid an ooth last night. She was only with the male that one time so I guess we'll find out how well that worked in 4 to 6 weeks. I will try mating her again soon, but wanted to give the male a couple days to make more spermatophore first. I'm planning to mate the second female again too after she lays an ooth. That way I can compare viability and yields of all 4 situations. It's not a perfectly constructed experiment but it's what I have to work with.

Latest posts