Martial Arts

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a kung fu practioner and martial artist, you should know that there is no end to any form. You can continue to find more knowledge and expand your power and wisdom.
Yes of course it is always one step taken and many more to take...

what I am describing is my teachers method of showing me the sword form in steps that can be committed to memory and performance. The set has a beginning middle and end and I am nearly half way through learning the form.

I have been studying Northern Praying Mantis Kung Fu for about 7 yrs in the Wah Lum System. Also I have had training in the old marine corps system LINE(Pre-MCMAT), and some mixed martial arts training/kickboxing. I was compeating untill last year, I tore my ACL( multiple 360 jump cresent kicks on uneven ground with an over-rotation) We do a lot of weapons. I currently have the following in my arsenal: Broad Sword, Stick,Double Daggers, Flute, Short Handle 9Ring,2 handed Gim. The French system you are referring to is called Savate (Old Boots) and the only thing I have noticed that was unique to the system was the position of the foot during certain kicks because of the reinforcment of the toe and heel of the boot.

i still find it amazing that the french have a martial art....it just weirds me out....they are terrible at war and yet they have a M/A...i dont get it.... :lol: Anyone on here take it?

Practiced Shotokan, Japanese hard style for some years. Made it to Brown belt until Sensei decided to abandon us and return the the Carribean Islands. Have not heard from him since. Now that I'm older I find that, for females, an art which does not stress meeting force with force is the way to go. I am now seeking instruction in the art of Tai Chi Chaun for conditioning and self defense. All of that kiaing and closed hand to hand combat , and tournaments was cool when I was younger but now I see the differences between the many arts of self defense. I have been learning from videos and books and a friend but would really like to take it to the next level and find a reasonable institution to follow up with. This is cool discussion here!! Glad I clicked it!

Practiced Shotokan, Japanese hard style for some years. Made it to Brown belt until Sensei decided to abandon us and return the the Carribean Islands. Have not heard from him since. Now that I'm older I find that, for females, an art which does not stress meeting force with force is the way to go. I am now seeking instruction in the art of Tai Chi Chaun for conditioning and self defense. All of that kiaing and closed hand to hand combat , and tournaments was cool when I was younger but now I see the differences between the many arts of self defense. I have been learning from videos and books and a friend but would really like to take it to the next level and find a reasonable institution to follow up with. This is cool discussion here!! Glad I clicked it!
You might be interested in judo as well. Another japanese art. You do not meet force with force but use the force of your opponet to throw him. I fought a 220 lbs kid before. Football and basketball etc. We had a disagreement he got violent first and i took a hit. I'm 5'7" and like 150lbs. he had a good 70lbs on me. It hurt. Then he , oh so stupidly, ran at me and i grabbed his collar, sat on my rear, put my right foot in to his hip and threw him across the room because of his momentum mixed with mine. After that he never messed with me.

I haven't practiced in about a year do to some injuries, but I studied and taught Aikido for about 13 years. In Aikido, we studied with a staff, sword, tanto.

I also studied kendo(japanese sword fencing) for about 2 years, escrima (philipinno stick fighting) about 1 year.

When I was in my earily twentys, I did MMA(before it was popular) for a couple years and I also was training for the tough man contest (though I never entered in it).

I am just about ready to start training my daughter who just turned 6 and my son who is 5. The have seen me train, and have been asking me for a while to start training them, but now I think they are ready.

Tony

I haven't practiced in about a year do to some injuries, but I studied and taught Aikido for about 13 years. In Aikido, we studied with a staff, sword, tanto. I also studied kendo(japanese sword fencing) for about 2 years, escrima (philipinno stick fighting) about 1 year.

When I was in my earily twentys, I did MMA(before it was popular) for a couple years and I also was training for the tough man contest (though I never entered in it).

I am just about ready to start training my daughter who just turned 6 and my son who is 5. The have seen me train, and have been asking me for a while to start training them, but now I think they are ready.

Tony
To get certain techniques starting at an early age is best. the brain absorbs so much more than an older one does. Dont just teach them techniques, but also the lessons behind them (such as anger control) as that is crucial to the training.

Anybody have any stories about times they have had to defend themselves? or anyother experiences

Latest posts