MASA culture question

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloud jaguar

Reaction score
So today my wife and i made 2 ff cultures in 32 oz deli cups using the MASA recipe. We make tacos with homemade tortillas so it just happens we had some laying around, lol. The production process seemed to go well. Hours later, i remarked to her how odd it was that the masa culture developed all of these porous cavernous spaces and grew large in size - like a loaf of bread. She said that the MASA culture recipe did not specify how much yeast so she threw the whole pack in there - she made double the recipe for 2 cultures with one packet of yeast.

My question is are the cultures ruined because she threw enough yeast in there to make a barrel of beer or is it ok ? By the way we are noobs so dont laugh too hard. I told her i thought she should have just added a pinch and not the whole bag. Should we throw it out and start over again tomorrow?

~Arkanis

Last edited by a moderator:
All you need is a pinch :eek: I prefer to buy commercial media which includes mold inhibitor.

:lol: opps sorry, how's this :D , or this :) . Ok, don't throw it away, but make new. See how it goes, it is funny though, kinda like livin with Lucy! huh! Theres no harm in keeping it, just leave it a day and then make new and reuse your flies, if they were laying in it, it would of happened by now, so u will still get flies if the culture works and with the new ones, u r sure to get them, this time just 3 or 5 grandules will do it.

i dont know if the amount of yeast you used was to much but when i make ff cultures, this happens to them. if you wait around 24 hours after making the mixture before introducing the ff then it will be ok. by this time most of the gas will have escaped and the mix will have subsided. once the ff lay their eggs into it and the maggots start hatching, the mixx will be normal. if you put them in while the mixture is ballooned, you may find the ff will die very quickly, poisoned by the CO2 produced by the yeast breaking down the sugar (thats the gas making the mixture balloon).

Thanks everyone for your help!
Hi,

I have about ten different recipe's that i have experimented with, and would be happy to send you one or two depending on difficulty or convenience. Most are obtained off the web, some work better than others depending on what flies you are trying to raise. I also sell a culture from time to time. But it's funner if you make your own.

Regards B)

Thanks everyone for your help. Of the two original cultures my wife made (using a whole pack of yeast), nothing seems to be growing in there yet. However, the culture we made of banana that smelled like a brewery finally stopped stinking and started producing mels like crazy. We made 2 more masa cultures with just a pinch of yeast but they are still inactive.

~Arkanis

Thanks everyone for your help. Of the two original cultures my wife made (using a whole pack of yeast), nothing seems to be growing in there yet. However, the culture we made of banana that smelled like a brewery finally stopped stinking and started producing mels like crazy. We made 2 more masa cultures with just a pinch of yeast but they are still inactive.

~Arkanis

HI, I was just wondering what temperature is good for fruitfly cultures? The caresheet I got with my last order of them said its best to keep them at 72f but that seems a little low and was just wanting a second opinion. Thx!

Latest posts