Mating after ooth laying.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lancaster1313

Likebugs (site changed my name😐)
Reaction score
How long does it take a female Chinese to recover after laying an unfertilized ooth? I have had a hard time trying to get my male to mate with any of my females. He was ready today but he missed the girl and got me instead, then the first chosen female started searching for an ooth laying location. :( He seems to have lost his nerve for the time being. Today is the first day that he actually looked interested, and it didn't even happen. I would rather that he mate with one of my older docile females first, I feel like it should be their turn before the younger ones. The other day my oldest female layed, and now my second oldest is doing it. It is interesting that the females molts were within 48 hours, and now thier first ooths have a similar timing.

Last edited by a moderator:
try putting them together(1 male 1 female)separately,and go with your oldest pair first, older is better.

If the two oldest just made oothecae then you might consider then younger ones if they are reasonably old enough. Or, go with whichever is the seemingly most gravid.

The females that just laid infertile ooths, feed them up well before trying to mate them. Females are usually ravenous after laying. Just try placing the male on her back. If he is horney enough, he should be able to figure out the rest.

Darn! :angry: I took him out this morning and intorduced him to 2 younger females, both of which didn't seem to mind his presence. He must have forgotten how horny he was yesterday. I will feed him and make sure that there can be nothing more on his mind before I try again.

Latest posts