Mating trouble...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MantisGirl13

Reaction score
Hi all! I am trying to mate my Giant Kenya Budwing Mantids (Parasphendale stali) and they aren't cooperating. The male is interested and trying to mount but the female gives him a HUGE threat pose whenever he tries. She is literally the most scaredy-cat mantis I have ever heard of. She is about 3" long and huge. She is at least two months into adulthood. The male is about 2.5 inches long and at least 3 weeks adult. Any ideas of how to distract or calm the female?

- MantisGirl13

Give her a large prey item to keep her busy before introducing him. Then try to put him directly on her back without her seeing him. Easier said than done, I know but  I've successfully done this a few times without the female noticing at all but it takes patience and slow fluid motions so you don't spook her yourself.

Give her a large prey item to keep her busy before introducing him
I've tried that, but she's too fat right now and rejects prey.

Then try to put him directly on her back without her seeing him. 
Problem with that is, the male is very easily distracted. I'll keep trying though! He mounted her today once, but she shook him off and he flew away (onto my face!!).

- MantisGirl13

Too bad, I still hope that you get the  mantids to mate without heads lost.
I hope so too! The female is not aggressive at all (surprising for such a large mantis) but she's is scared of EVERYTHING! She throws threat poses at a 3/4 inch dubia roach in tweezers 5" away!

- MantisGirl13

I know I’m very late to the thread but just today I was trying to mate my Chinese mantises (for the 5th time unsuccessfully). Every time I give the female a cricket then place the male just behind her. He always freezes for 20 minutes and doesn’t start his slo-mo walk toward her until she’s just finishing up her meal. By the time he’s a couple inches behind her she’s completely done and does that threatening head turn to let him know he’s dead meat if he takes one more step. Then he slowly backs up, Turns and flies out of there. I get so frustrated that he wastes soooo much time while she’s eating. So today, while she was eating I slid a 12” long wooden dowel about the diameter of a pencil in front of her with one end about 5” from where she stood. Whenever she started to turn her head to see if she had a stalker I would just give that dowel a little movement with my finger and she would redirect her attention to is and forget all about that male behind her. It was a simple distraction technique that worked well. Each time I moved that dowel she would stare intently at it for a good 20 minutes before she would decide it wasn’t a threat. Then when she started to look away from it again I would just give the dowel another nudge and she’d snap her attention right back on it. It took my guy 3-1/2 hours to finally get to a point where he could leap on her and attempt to mount. Unfortunately, I had clipped her wings halfway up because of a bad molt that left them deformed and ruffled. It’s becoming apparent the male needs those wings to properly mount and connect with her because she crawled for the edge of my table trying to rid herself of him and he finally dismounted her and fled for dear life. I was soooo frustrated. But I now know that the dowel distraction works! 

Perhaps stimulate the male by raising his temp a bit before introducing, and by also keeping them warm through the whole interaction. Try high 70s.

Latest posts