Maude's First Molt (with us)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheTranquilEye

Reaction score
So, glad that Maude has had a successful molt. Being new to keeping mantids, I wasn't sure what to expect but she's done it all herself. Can't believe she's almost doubled in size..

P1010727.JPG

Nice picture. Molting is among the no. 1 causes of death in these things in my experience. The reason why it looks twice the size is because it sucks in air during the molt and expands its body (notice that all of the segments appear "streched" out). When the exoskeleton chemically hardens it will be quite a bit smaller, especially since there is no food in it at all. 

Nice picture. Molting is among the no. 1 causes of death in these things in my experience. The reason why it looks twice the size is because it sucks in air during the molt and expands its body (notice that all of the segments appear "streched" out). When the exoskeleton chemically hardens it will be quite a bit smaller, especially since there is no food in it at all. 
Yep, you're absolutely right. She's considerably smaller this morning (although bigger than she was). Fascinating stuff. I just wish I'd seen and videoed her molting.

Fed her today when I returned from work. She was ravenous. I put in a freezer sedated housefly and she hunted it down as soon as it woke up. She actually climbed down swiftly from the top of her enclosure as soon as it moved and grabbed it. Such a change from Manny, who just sits there and waits for the prey to come to him even though he's spotted it.

Latest posts