Me and my mantid-story:P

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mRpHiLL

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My name is Philippe Model, 21 years old, I'm from Switzerland and currently living in Sweden for a year as an office trainee.

As i'm living alone, i started to think about getting a pet, so i was doing internet research like crazy. Soon I read something about Mantids, which reminded of when i saw my first orchid mantis at an insect exhibition when i was 10 or so (I was stairing at that wonderful animal for like an hour).

So I started to make hours of research and preparation, to finally find out that it's practically impossible to get a mantis here in Sweden. I tried to find some at a Reptile show, at every pet store around here and i checked the internet for any breeders that could send me one... nothing. Finally i found a pet store that ordered one for me (maybe because they were tired of me for asking them so many times^^).

Anyway they found me an Orchid Mantis (the only available kind) and in September 2010 my male subadult Hymenopus Coronatus moved in with me and he's developed perfectly, so now he's an adult.

This week I saw that the pet store had another HC, but a female so I had to have her immediately.

So now I'm living with two orchid mantids, one adult male and an L5 (not sure) female. They're called Benjamin and Asmida.

So that's me and how I became a manti-maniac
tongue.gif
!

(tried to keep it short... didn't work, sorry)

Phill

Hi everyone,

My name is Philippe Model, 21 years old, I'm from Switzerland and currently living in Sweden for a year as an office trainee.

As i'm living alone, i started to think about getting a pet, so i was doing internet research like crazy. Soon I read something about Mantids, which reminded of when i saw my first orchid mantis at an insect exhibition when i was 10 or so (I was stairing at that wonderful animal for like an hour).

So I started to make hours of research and preparation, to finally find out that it's practically impossible to get a mantis here in Sweden. I tried to find some at a Reptile show, at every pet store around here and i checked the internet for any breeders that could send me one... nothing. Finally i found a pet store that ordered one for me (maybe because they were tired of me for asking them so many times^^).

Anyway they found me an Orchid Mantis (the only available kind) and in September 2010 my male subadult Hymenopus Coronatus moved in with me and he's developed perfectly, so now he's an adult.

This week I saw that the pet store had another HC, but a female so I had to have her immediately.

So now I'm living with two orchid mantids, one adult male and an L5 (not sure) female. They're called Benjamin and Asmida.

So that's me and how I became a manti-maniac
tongue.gif
!

(tried to keep it short... didn't work, sorry)

Phill
Heh, your story is almost like mine, except i live in portugal, and im not 21.

For these little insects i could anything.

I bought my first mantis (budwing) in the summer of 2010 and then 3 months later I had 10 other species in my collection . Thats how addicted I was. B)

I bought my first mantis (budwing) in the summer of 2010 and then 3 months later I had 10 other species in my collection . Thats how addicted I was. B)
wow... that sounds like passion.

i would love have some other species too, but impossible here in Sweden. Guess i maybe get some in switzerland or germany in summer.

You are very fortunate indeed to get to have orchids first thing! I started less than a year ago & am now up to...well...just look at my signature! :p

Welcome, welcome!

Nice story.I purchased my first in sep 2010 now i have 20 :helpsmilie: they're adicting.

Latest posts