Meal worms

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sueb4653

Reaction score
ok I went and got some meal worms today

are my mantis in the world the only ones that wont eat them? :helpsmilie:

Mealies aren't really the best food for mantises as a main food source...but sometimes if I'm running low on food, I'll pierce a meal worm and put it up to my mantids mouth...sometimes mealworms don't move around that much so that's why mantises don't get them all the time...

All the best,

Andrew

I read somewhere on this forum that you cut off its head, then put the bodies` gooey parts up to his/her mouth. It works for me ^_^

I think an occasional mealworm now and then is fine as long as they aren't the main food source.

My larger adult species (e.g., Rhombodera) will grab a mealworm when it's crawling around. For the rest, I do remove the head and almost force it to taste it the first few times. Some really develop a liking for the mealworms. After that, I still remove the head for the smaller species, but they will usually grab the mealworm from the forceps from me.

Not the best food choice. Many mantids will not grab something with a worm shape.

mealworms went into the bird feeder

maybe they will have freedom for a little while :devil:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have researched that they have a fat content of about 30%. Most feeders are around 20%. I use them every now and then. And I have noticed that some of my mantids seem to love them and some do not :)

I feed gravid females 2 a week, to supplement them with high fats for egg development, but rarely use them otherwise. If used on occasion, they are great, but not as a staple food source.

I already responded but wanted to add that I like to train my mantises to eat them because they make a good back up food source in the winter for those of us who cannot collect wild insects half of the year.

Latest posts