Medium/Large Mantids with good personalities

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmsgameboy

Reaction score
As I have been watching my mantids I have realized that they all have thier own personalities. My two Chinese are friendly and curious. My Carolina Mantis is fast and verry skitish and my Ghost Mantis is happy just hanging around. I have also found that I enjoy larger mantids. They are easier to find food for and easier to handle...and least I feel that way. My question is what are some other mantises that are friendly and grow to be over 3 inches?

Rhomberda + hierodula. personally i prefer hierodula because they are much more docile but rhomberda is also docile.

Not towards people who handle them.
Yes they are ROFL. :lol: I lost count how many times they grabbed a hold of my fingers. :rolleyes:

Of all the species I've had, I like the gongylus personality the most. Very calm, and aware of their surroundings, but like to wiggle a lot. B) Plus, watching them run on their rear four legs is pretty comical. :D

(it runs on four legs at 0:24)

Last edited by a moderator:
well i dont know but maybe the giant asian or giant other mantis types would be docile depending on the person i guess and the european mantis is not that bad either and maybe the egyptian miomantis paykulli too?

like to wiggle a lot. B) Plus, wathing them run on their rear four legs is pretty comical. :D

:lol: they are funny

hmm cant find anything in google on clinia h?
I think you might have misspelled it. It's Cilnia, not Clinia. Cilnia humeralis. ;)

Btw, AB, that G.gonglodes running is awesome!

They don't even bother to use their raptorial arms to run! It's like a robot!

Also, maybe it would be better if everyone could give a one sentence reply on why they think their certain species is most 'friendly', as this could mean MANY THINGS! haha.

Docile doesn't mean 'not scared of you' (There for will not be timid around you)

But, 'Docile' and 'not scared of you' could both mean 'friendly'.

I could see why C.humeralises could come off both ways. They definitely seem to be one of the most fearless, (from the info I gather) but that definitely doesn't mean 'friendly' to some people right?

In my definition of 'friendly' I could see the Empusidae family fitting that description. They seem very nice. And unagressive from what I gather. (again, not to generalize)

But then again, if you want a mantis that is not timid, and will not care that you are next to it and just keep eating, then probably a bulkier species would be more fitting.

Minkyu

Yes they are ROFL. :lol: I lost count how many times they grabbed a hold of my fingers. :rolleyes: Of all the species I've had, I like the gongylus personality the most. Very calm, and aware of their surroundings, but like to wiggle a lot. B) Plus, wathing them run on their rear four legs is pretty comical. :D

Still havent been bitten by the one girl :D , though she tried bitting my camera lense :eek: