Mega fruit fly!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABbuggin

Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I found a very large fruit fly, I was quite excited to see it and soon wondered if I would be able to breed them. Not long after setting a few traps up, I had 7 very large individuals! A few weeks later, success! :D

IMG_0468.jpg

Here they are next to a D. melanogaster! As you can see, much much bigger!

IMG_0465.jpg

My stater culture from the 7 originals. :D

IMG_0469.jpg

And what good would they be if they weren't mantis approved? :lol: (L3 P. whalbergii)

Very cool. Any idea on what species of fruit fly it is?Also,

What's your medium :p ?
Sorry, not a clue what species it is. I use the medium from edsflymeat.com, the same stuff I use for all my fruit flies. They are a couple times bigger than hydei. I dont have any of those at the moment, otherwise I would take some pics.

Hrm...it does look like Drosophila. I have caught similar ones which looked like D. hydei but just a bit larger and the same color as yours. Was using rotten apple as bait.

I'm sure you'll be able to sell a bunch! Thanks for posting the pics.

Oh, so there not D. melanogaster? About how long did the life cycle take?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hrm...it does look like Drosophila. I have caught similar ones which looked like D. hydei but just a bit larger and the same color as yours. Was using rotten apple as bait. I'm sure you'll be able to sell a bunch! Thanks for posting the pics.
I was using banana for mine. What was interesting was the fact that I set 3 traps out within 15 feet of each other. I only caught one large fruit fly in the first two, and I caught 5 in the 3rd. I found that odd. :huh:

Oh, so there not D. melanogater? About how long did the life cycle take?
What's great is their life cycle is just as fast as melonogaster. They are not slow like hydei. :) Also, they don't fly a whole lot, they would rather walk. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you put one in some vernier calipers and snap a photo please?

Latest posts