Melanogaster problem

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_Hemptress

Reaction score
the new culture i got from the silk worm shop seemed to be doing very well, compared to all the other cultures ive ordered. anyway, this evening when i got home from wokr i notice all the flies are dead and all the maggots(which is alot) are not moving anymore and they all seem to have started moving towards the top of the container and were trying to get out. there are a bunch a ll smashed up under the rim of the cap. is this normal for cultures? if so, how do i prevent this from happening in the future?

ok cool. i was thinkin they were going to pupate, but then all the flies were dead so i was thinkin something bad was happening. now is there a way i can prevent them from going up under the rim of lid because they get on my hands and its rather gross to me.

Sounds like they are about to pupate. That's a good thing. They may have all died because it was their time to go.

Could be one of two things I believe. In my culture, the larvae do climb up the sides to pupate on the walls. So that is a possibility. Another thing that could be the culprit is lack of air or poor circulation. I've had similar with ants and other bugs I've kept. If the population gets too high, sometimes they pass out from lack of oxygen. So you could open the top if there isn't much activity and fan some air in with your hands and see if that wakes them up.

The maggots should not be climbing on the lid and trying to get out. If this is happening, there is too much humidity in the container.

When I first started culturing fruit flies, I didn't have any excelsior and I ran out of coffee filters. So I used shredded cardboard. The problem is that the shredded cardboard absorbed all the moisture and got soaked so the humidity was too high in the container. The flies died off and the maggots climbed to the top and literally starting forcing their way through the mesh lid. It was pretty disgusting to see this when I opened the lid. Maggots all over the lid and coming out.

Since then I have always used excelsior and I have never had any maggots climb to the lid. They will crawl up the sides, maybe 3/4 of the way and pupate.

Here is some info from Josh frog's regarding humidity in fruit fly cultures:

By looking at the placement of pupae on the side of a culture, you can infer if the culture is receiving the proper humidity or not. Under ideal conditions, the pupae will be spread evenly throughout the sides of the culture, with most of them located at mid level. If most of the pupae are located at the top of the culture, the humidity is too high. If the pupae seem concentrated lower in the culture, towards the media, the humidity is too low. Keeping cultures in plastic storage drawers, such as those made by Sterilite, is a quick and easy way to insure that proper humidity is maintained.

Did the culture have excelsior in it or something else? Does it look really wet?

Garin33 hit the nail on the head. Improper ventilation will raise the humidity causing the larva to travel up. If you have solved the ventilation problem, which it sounds like you have, the larva will pupate and hatch just fine.

Latest posts