Member Contest

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CosbyArt

Reaction score
The idea of a forum wide contest was talked about briefly awhile back, see post here. This isn't a official Mantidforum contest, just something I've thought about starting up again, but perhaps that will change.

I'm just curious if anyone is still interested in participating in a contest for mantid related prizes; although, I think living prizes such as mantids/ooths/etc wouldn't be ideal at least for the first contests.

For a mantid prize pack items such as substrate, decorations (plants, perches, habitat backgrounds, etc), screen mesh/netting material, plastic habitats, lighting, temperature/humidity devices, etc.

Then we could also branch off into specific categories related to mantids. Things like cricket prizes (water gel, food, cricket keepers, etc), fruit flies (case of new vented lid deli cups, fly food medium, excelsior, mite paper, etc), cockroach prize pack (similar to crickets), tool pack (cleaning materials, tweezers for feeding/cleaning, temperature/humidity devices, dry-erase labels and markers, feeding bamboo skewers, hot glue gun and sticks, etc), and many other things.

Besides mantids many keepers are involved in other pets too, so a related contest for beetles, arachnids, lizards, etc could be held too. With a great related prize could be a subscription to INVERTEBRATES-MAGAZINE.

Occasionally gift certificates for mantid related sites like Peter's BugsInCyberspace would be a great prize allowing the winner to get anything they want. :)

Maybe better would be a option of various prize packs, which would allow the winning member to decide which they want more.

The biggest thing at the moment is what type of mantid related contest should be held?

Personally I'm a fan of the DIY type of project tutorials that show up on the forum, so perhaps everyone could put together a DIY on their mantid related topic as a contest entry. We do have some writers on the forum so perhaps poems, short stories, etc would be a good idea too. Then of course everyone likes photos of their pets, even if most of us aren't professional photographers.

If you have other contest ideas, want to enter a contest, want to donate prize(s), or anything related - respond and let me know. I think there should be at least one contest (to be announced) to see the level participation and how well it goes.

Few idea to add in no particular order:

- We also have a number of artists on the site I do believe so you could add that into the maybe pile.
 - Best mantis name?
 - Are there any sort of invert preservation groups like Ducks Unlimited for bugs? No idea if there is but if such a thing exists we could perhaps do a fundrasier with prizes for most raised?

CosbyArt, would you accept my donation of this mantis sculpture?

FullSizeRender_zpsziywv4ii.jpg

Few idea to add in no particular order:

- We also have a number of artists on the site I do believe so you could add that into the maybe pile.
 - Best mantis name?
 - Are there any sort of invert preservation groups like Ducks Unlimited for bugs? No idea if there is but if such a thing exists we could perhaps do a fundrasier with prizes for most raised?
Some good ideas :D I like the preservation idea, I'll have to do some digging to see what turns up on that.

CosbyArt, would you accept my donation of this mantis sculpture?
:eek: Amazing - that is very nice Yen, of course thanks! Shoot me a PM and I'll give you my address and such. Do you make those yourself? I'd be happy to buy one for myself too as I can't win it. ;)

Hmm I know that this post's a bit old but maybe an art contest? I can draw(I guess) and I have no doubt that many other members of this forum can draw, paint, sculpt, etc. as well!

Latest posts