Mental Health Questions/Quality of Life Issues

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curiosity

Reaction score
I still have two wild-caught mantises who are both alive and don't seem to be in a big hurry to die. I'm kind of worried about the fact that their lives have been reduced to little more than eating and sleeping - they don't even get to hunt anymore. (Unless there is a way to tempt them to try and catch mealworms.) I'm also wondering wether it's a good thing or not that their life spans have gone far beyond what should've been by now. . . there was a frost locally in October that probably killed all the wild mantises. How do I keep their lives from not just becoming constant suspended animation?

I've had wild caught before (Chinese) and have always thought they are content to hunt flies in a large enough cage. Get an upright 10-gallon and they will be happy enough hanging upside down off the cage. Maybe try feeding flies instead of hand feeding worms if you want them to hunt.

They are insects, their only “worries” are to eat and survive, which you are providing. I’m sure they are doing well. If you are worried, I would just give them flies to hunt

Okay. . . I'll see if I can find some flies before they die of old age. . . neither of them can actually climb anymore. 

Latest posts