messed up molt - happening now

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunhorse

Reaction score
Our oldest Mantid was found this morning on the floor of his container half out of exo.

we lifted him up by old back legs but he was stuck for a long time and finally fell out.

Moving a little but lookng sluggish. Cant get him to grab on to leaf or hand.

How can we help him dry, or recover????

If he can't grab anything then I would try to gently put him in the most natural position that is possible and wait. I have only had that work once, it was with a Creobroter pictipennis.

What specie of mantis is he?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Likebugs! He is a TS. This is his final molt. Sunhorse's favorite Mantid, Alex!

Positive update: We helped him to transfer to a branch of artificial plant. Once he was solidly suspended we suspended the branch from the top of the enclosure. He is hanging with his front legs up. His little wings are expanding out nicely. He has good grip and movement with the front 4 limbs, using the back limbs less. We taped the branch so that Alex is hanging about 2 or 3 inches above the bottom of his container. We are optimistic! I will try to post a photo.

I am Sunhorse's mom. Her dad posted the initial question, as she was pretty upset, and she thought Alex was going to die.

Having trouble attaching photo... I will go and research how to do that.

I am happy to hear that things are looking up! :D

By tomorrow you should know how well he will do for the rest of his life.

Oh! Do try to use something other than tape! If he gets stuck in it it will be a disaster.

Is he ok to be hanging with his back legs down?

He is really not using his back legs... they are fully extended below him not touching anything

No worries about the tape. I put it on the outside of his container, and the lid is shoved down on top so that he can't get out. It was a brilliant hack.

I hope he is doing well and can't wait to hear good news about him.

When they are drying the wings, they usually hang by the front most legs and do the pumping and wiggling thing.

If his wings look messed up, that doesn't mean he isn't a good pet, or breeder mantis. It is just looks.

His wings look great! I am a bit concerned about the back legs. He did climb to the top of the container overnight, so that is a good thing. When I opened the lid, he climbed up to crawl on my hands as he loves to do. He is really staying low to the ground, with his abdomen on the surface usually. His back legs tend to mostly stay extended way back and out to the sides, but he does use them at times. He hasn't eaten yet, so that will be the next milestone, I guess.

Sunhorse wants me to mention that she is 12 years old. Alex is our first to reach adulthood (as is probably evident by my commentary in the posts above)

Alex will need a couple of days before eating and being handled. I am glad that he is doing good. I have had mantids that had bent legs from molting problems. Sometimes the legs will improve when the mantis hangs from them a lot.

My daughter Estelle will be 7 in October and she is used to most of the things that happen around the house with many insect pets. Lol.

Insects that have had problems seem to be her favorite. She enjoys nurturing the needy and handicapped ones. ;)

OOOPS I came here to check something... and realize I didn't update... I thought that I did. SO... I came here to check dates and stuff, because Alex is having another health issue. (Which is in post titled "Black raptorial" I will leave that discussion to the other post. Following the tricky molt, Alex regained strength and seems to be using his hind legs well. He returned to eating, no problem, and enjoys his times out the the container, crawling on his people.

Really weird typing this.... because I am SURE that I have already typed this... perhaps in another thread here? I dunno! I guess it doesn't really matter at this point... I just feel bad that I didn't update when several people took the time to respond.

All went well for a good week and a half.

See "black raptorial" post for new info (not so positive)

Latest posts