Mid Atlantic Newcomer

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandonparro

Reaction score
Hi everyone. My name is Brandon. I live in Maryland just outside of Baltimore. I'm very excited to be a part of this community. I got into this very special hobby just two months ago when I took in a beautiful female Carolina Mantis (pregnant btw lol). She just finished laying her third ootheca so I'm absorbing as much information as possible for her care and her eggs as well. I'm a disabled combat vet, so I luckily have the time to devote to these insects care. Thank you for adding me to your community. Any help or information regarding Carolina Mantids, I would greatly appreciate it. 

IMG_1492.JPG

IMG_1494.JPG

Hello Brandon and welcome to the forum and hobby
wave2.gif

Carolina mantids (Stagmomantis carolina) is one of my favorite species and one I've had some experience with in all aspects the last few years with my hundreds of them. :) If you have a specific question I'd gladly answer it, otherwise you are better off looking at the caresheet here. Or searching the forum itself, as most answers can easily be found by a bit of searching.

If I were to start writing about them from ooth care, hatching, nymph stages, breeding, and end at a dead adult I would bore you with the countless pages of information I could hammer out if I didn't have to be in bed for work in 6 hours. ;)

Thanks for the welcome. I'll definitely be looking at this specific care sheet. Since you have a lot of experience with this species, I'm sure the caresheet is up to standard. Thanks again!

Thanks for the welcome. I'll definitely be looking at this specific care sheet. Since you have a lot of experience with this species, I'm sure the caresheet is up to standard. Thanks again!
Your welcome. ;) It doesn't get heavy into details, but should answer some of the more basic questions.

Brandon, welcome.

That is the same type I caught as a child growing up in Baltimore. And like you I am a disabled vet -VietNam- so I am able to spend time on these also.

LOL we can both learn as we go.

WElcome, I missed the part where he was a disabled Vet. But Thanks to both of you for your service. I will send you both a ghost if you pay shipping, you can

go priority mail if you like, and some flies for them to eat. Any other Vets, same offer goes to you.

Hibiscusmile, that is very generous of you.  I may have to take you up on that in the upcoming months. I'll go ahead and get in some research on the Ghost species. Sure know how to make a guy feel welcome ; ) 

Zeppy44, thank you for your service, sir. Men and women like you that came before me are the reason I enlisted in the first place (and 9-11). Do you still live in MD?

Brandon, same to you on the service. Not in Md, 6 yrs ago left Westminster, Md for Atlanta area. yr ago moved to Ft Smith,Ar. area.  Still a bit of a vagabond yet. Part of interest in Mantis, can move them much easier than fish in water. Joke on me: gave away all "fishy" stuff and could have used a lot of it for Mantids. Who knew?

LOL at age 70 now I hope one day to grow up and finally settle down. LOL Still looking for a place to  build a yurt and become closer to the earth.

Hibiscusmile, that is so kind of you and yes will be glad to take you up on your offer. As I have set aside some funds for this new venture, and we have some decent weather-temp wise- this week coming should be great. Thanks so much and let me know what you need for shipping.          I have looked at your site a lot. So much that I keep a napkin by the computer now.          (easier to get the drool whipped when it Is still on the mouth and chin rather than puddling on the computer)        hahahha not much of an exaggeration!\

Hey man! I'm very new to this as well! 

Thank you for your service! And good luck with that mantis of yours! 

See ya around the forums. 

Sam

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. 

I'm a vet myself. You've come to the right place. 

Latest posts