Millipede care?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MandellaMandy123

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I recently caught a millipede while I was out walking the dog, and I decided to bring it home. I've found millipedes in the past, but I've never kept them long. This one is smaller than the ones I normally catch, but looks the same otherwise, so I think it's probably a juvenile. It's about 2 1/2 to 3 inches long. I remember a long time ago I had a rotting log kit that contained millipedes and they ate dog food then. Should I feed the millipede dog food? I could also give it spinach leaves, fresh or cooked, or kale.

Thanks for your help! Here's a pic in case anyone knows the ID (the white along the side is just reflection):

gallery_5808_313_1103473.jpg

Thanks,

Wolfie

Last edited by a moderator:
looks like a young narceus americanus. Put it in a container with some soil and dead leaves. It will burrow. Also include rotting logs, as they will feed on them

Last time i caught a millipede I fed it "rotting" material, like apple cores, But I didn't keep them very long. Just my experience.

Narceus is not found in the western US.

Give it damp conditions with minimal ventilation and try dog food and decayed leaves. Some fruits will be liked. Remove uneaten food before it rots.

Thanks guys. :)

I thought it wasn't red enough to be Narceus - now I know it's not in my area anyway. Anyone have any idea what species it is? I've done some research but haven't had much luck.

All right, I'll arrange a habitat for it today. Thanks again! ;)

MILLIPEDES

Class: Diplopoda (millipedes only)

Keeping them: They can be kept in a large margerine tub, or another large-ish enclosure. Put 1-3 inches of damp soil on the bottom, and cover with decaying leaves from the ground. You will need to keep the enclosure moist, so an option is to use waxed paper with holes poked into it for a lid, or mist often. Keep the soil damp at all times.

Feeding them: They eat rotting leaves and the roots and shoots of young plants. Some eat fungi or organisms living in decaying matter. You can use raw fruits, vegetables, and other plant parts. Try things until you see your millipede(s) prefer(s).

Breeding: If the tub is moist and the food is favorable, they may reproduce. The male will line up his body alongside the female's back. Babies will look like small versions of their parents. The young shed skins often are are white afterwards, making it easier to spot them.

Protection: They will coil up when threatened, with their head in the center.

Some millipedes have stink glands, which are located in rows on their sides. When touched or bitten by a predator, they will excrete a liquid that stinks, tastes awful, and is all together noxious. This won't harm humans.

Millipedes have a hard, slick skin made of chitin.

Hope this helps!

Information used from my own experience and also from the book: "Pet Bugs: A Kid's Guide to Catching and keeping Touchable Insects" by Sally Kneidel. I also own her second book, "More Pet Bugs." I got them for Christmas when I was little, and have adapted my ways of caring for the insects from the books, using the book as a resource, since children have no idea how to keep something unknown alive. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
What has been on the menu for your millipede? How did you choose to house it?

The largest one I've ever kept was found two summers ago; it was about 2" long, I think, and very thick.

Another thing, they have trouble vertically and upside down when horizontal. Don't drop a millipede! This causes them to die, eventually. The big millipede died after falling many times. :( His end was strange: discolored brown, smelly foam came out of its mouth as it writhed. It was a disturbing, strange, and probably preventable death. My advice: take every measure to prevent a fall.

Good luck and keep me posted! :)

Latest posts