Mini Adult Stagmomantis Carolina with Partial Wings

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krissim Klaw

Reaction score
I wanted to share some photos of my boy Aether who is a Stagmomantis carolina. The early portion of his life was fairly normal. He grew at the same rate as his siblings. When he should have been shedding to sub-adult however he instead shed to adulthood, skipping a shedding. In addition to being noticeably smaller than a normal male he also ended up with partial wings that don't reach the end of his abdomen. I've heard of mantises skipping sheddings in the past but this is the first time I've seen it first hand and I figured I would share some photos of my special flutter-butt-bug. I apologize in advance for the photos poor quality. I might try taking some more in better lighting down the road.

First off two photos of him showing off his partial wings.

Aether-Wings-2_zps5ogg4sxb.png

Look at that hiney!

Aether-Wings_zpsynbyf8ln.png

Now for a couple photos of him with his brother who was from the same ooth. Let me just say it wasn't easy getting these two to stay still long enough to get photos of them in the same shot.

Size-Difference_zpsp58dedni.png

Size-Difference-2_zpsmax8f7lc.png

I am somewhat curious as to whether he could successfully breed/produce offspring and if so would his condition would be genetically passed along to some of the offspring. That being said I don't have any plans to breed him. If however someone is itching to test things out and has females they want to try pairing with him feel free to drop me a message.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting.....I had a similar experience with a few of my African Twig mantises once. They had messed up wings and were smaller than the other adult mantises (skipping molts). I always wondered what caused it. They had a fairly normal lifespan for adults, but I never tried to breed them. Does anyone know why this happens?

Latest posts