Mini fuit flie culture

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spider_creations

Reaction score
Just wanted to show you guys what I am working on . It's a micro fuit flie culture it's only a few  inches tall and about an inch and a half wide its doing good and I know that there producing because there are about 15-20 pupa near the top what do you think ?...... of it 

1458061123814-961094801.jpg

Best of luck with it, small cultures are more difficult to keep. They are often sold that way though as they require less flies/food/material/shipping costs, some even sell test tube sized ones too.

The smaller the culture the faster they crash ie, die off (less food and area for living/pupating/dead flies), can quickly be overrun with mites, and it will not produce nearly as many flies as a larger container even with the same amount of starter flies (32oz is the usual). Although if you don't plan to feed many nymphs or for very long it will do fine - guessing by the food level it will produce maybe 2 weeks if it starts to produce any flies. Typical Melanogaster cultures are seeded with about 50 flies. It seems the majority of your pupa are dead, the dark coloring is a sure sign they are dead. If you bought it that way, you should request a refund.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best of luck with it, small cultures are more difficult to keep. They are often sold that way though as they require less flies/food/material/shipping costs, some even sell test tube sized ones too.

The smaller the culture the faster they crash ie, die off (less food and area for living/pupating/dead flies), can quickly be overrun with mites, and it will not produce nearly as many flies as a larger container even with the same amount of starter flies (32oz is the usual). Although if you don't plan to feed many nymphs or for very long it will do fine - guessing by the food level it will produce maybe 2 weeks if it starts to produce any flies. Typical Melanogaster cultures are seeded with about 50 flies. It seems the majority of your pupa are dead, the dark coloring is a sure sign they are dead. If you bought it that way, you should request a refund.
I have some 24oz cultures that started by I just want to experiment with a micro culture the big cultures are producing about 500+ this one all the pupa are up top the black stuff was a few flys 

I have some 24oz cultures that started by I just want to experiment with a micro culture the big cultures are producing about 500+ this one all the pupa are up top the black stuff was a few flys 
Ah, well if it is working for you is all that matters. I now see it is something you made and didn't buy, sorry for the mixup.

Typically though I found that the smaller the culture the faster they crash, in any rate having a few extra as backup is a good idea and will help. In the 32oz cups I use as well, I tend to have three staggered stages of them (one set just made, another 2-3 weeks old, and the third about done). I try not to have more than about 2 dozen cups going at a time, as they are then just a waste. Here is a shot of just one 32oz cup, there are thousands of flies at any given time and last about 6 weeks till they crash (here is a photo one of mine, Hydei flies).

Best of luck with your flies. :D

View attachment 7128

was your culture homemade? if so, whats the recipe? if not, what would be the usual FF culture recipe that is successful?
I used a home made fuit fly food from a mix of different stuff there are a couple different recipes each I think has pros and cons... with the one I use I have never had a bad crash before and the medium ( food ) I use must work good because in just a few weeks I can get up to 500++ flies but the con is after awhile it starts to smell funky but the first month or so it does not really smell and if you want less stink you can add honey or cinnamon to it . If you want the recipe I can get it for you I based it off of other recipes and added some of my own ingredients 

I used a home made fuit fly food from a mix of different stuff there are a couple different recipes each I think has pros and cons... with the one I use I have never had a bad crash before and the medium ( food ) I use must work good because in just a few weeks I can get up to 500++ flies but the con is after awhile it starts to smell funky but the first month or so it does not really smell and if you want less stink you can add honey or cinnamon to it . If you want the recipe I can get it for you I based it off of other recipes and added some of my own ingredients 
YES tell meeee!!  :rolleyes:

I don't use exact measurements but you just have to get the proportions right here is what I do 

1. I mash banana (I use about half a banana and that is plenty ) this can be done with a fork or a spoon press the fork into it and keep doing this I add about a tea spoon of water to help get it mashed 

2. I add instant mashed potatoes it can be bought at most food stores . it looks flaky somewhat like  oat meal I make sure to kinda grind it into a powder 

3. Then I start to mix it in with the mashed banana (add water if needed ) I add about 1/4 of a cup to 1/2 of a cup of the mashed potatoe flakes 

4. Then I add some powdered cinnamon or honey

5. I then add yeast I heard that it's better to use brewers yeast but if I don't have that on hand I just use bakers yeast 

6. I then add about a tea spoon of vinegar then a tea spoon of water but it all depends on the consistency you may not need that much

There are lots of recipes out there but this is what I use lots of recipes use confectionery sugar and  spirulina powder but I try to keep it simple hope this helps ☺

I used to use the vials but found they were just too small and didn't produce as many flies not to mention died out much faster. 

I find 32 oz insect cups to be just right and I prefer the commercial medium with the mold inhibitor. 

I used to use the vials but found they were just too small and didn't produce as many flies not to mention died out much faster. 

I find 32 oz insect cups to be just right and I prefer the commercial medium with the mold inhibitor. 
Yeah I like to use the 32oz deli cups correct me if I am wrong but doesn't yeast help to eat off mold  I think vinegar helps to Preserve it but I do have to agree with you I like the commercial FF food because it never really stinks bad 

Yeah I like to use the 32oz deli cups correct me if I am wrong but doesn't yeast help to eat off mold  I think vinegar helps to Preserve it but I do have to agree with you I like the commercial FF food because it never really stinks bad 
Yes, both yeast (sprinkled on top of the medium) and vinegar (mixed into the medium) will fight off mold; however, once the flies start to populate/produce the flies themselves eating and walking on the medium/food is usually enough to mix the medium preventing mold growth. Mold tends to be a problem during the time after you add flies waiting for them to populate the culture.

The vinegar besides adding as a mold inhibitor also makes the flies lay eggs, as it smells like rotting food (which can help if the fruit you mixed in the medium is fresh).

For hundreds more homemade fruit fly recipes look here. ;)

Just noticed that in my photo up above you can see my two unicorn mantids photo bombing the picture LOL  :D

Latest posts