Miomantis Paykulli nymphs

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bdawg

Reaction score
My guys just arrived safe today, got one transferred to it's new habitat, the other I've left in the dish because it's busy chowing down on one of the flies included in the shopping container. I'm guessing it's happy & healthy if it's eating. 

20171104_112926.jpg

They're both hanging upside down with their butts curved facing the ground, is that molting position?

Congrats on your nymphs! Mantis will hang upside down regardless of molting or not. The best way to tell if they are going to molt is if they refuse to eat for a few days, if they seem to not move much, and if they start pumping their abdomen. If they are a older nymph you can see their wingbuds start to swell up.

Congrats on your nymphs! Mantis will hang upside down regardless of molting or not. The best way to tell if they are going to molt is if they refuse to eat for a few days, if they seem to not move much, and if they start pumping their abdomen. If they are a older nymph you can see their wingbuds start to swell up.
Way smaller than I thought they were going to be, but they look healthy. Haven't handled them yet, although one ran onto my finger whilst transferring over, I don't want to stress them until they had settled in their new environment. Are they safe to handle? Don't want them jumping off and plummeting to the ground and getting lost.  Any handling advice would be much appreciated. 

They are completely safe to handle. Just don’t hold them high and therefore they can’t jump down far. Mine have jumped from some pretty high heights and seemed to have not cared at all. Usually if you have your hand heigher that where they are at they will climb your hand. My trouble is trying to get them off.

Latest posts