Mismolt of my Chinese mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlicenRice

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm relatively new here, and I needed some advice on what to do with my mantis. I did something stupid and left some feeders in her cage because I didn't realize she would be molting (she did eat last night). So I'm assuming that is why she fell. I gently took her out in the morning and replaced stuff in her cage with paper towels so she could hang onto something. For now her two right legs are still stuck in the old exoskeleton, and her lower left leg is bent and bit disfigured. Her raptorials are a little bent but as you can she she can still use them. I have no idea what to do now. Can anyone give me some advice on what to do next?

http://imgur.com/4qStF

Okay, I did some "surgery" and tried to help her remove the exoskeleton. She still looks miserable as heck, and her "breathing" (abdomen movements?) seem really labored. I feel horrible, damn.

fYlXn.jpg

I tried to get her to eat a small fruit fly, but she seemed startled and quite uninterested, as she simply just swatted at it, and turned away. Should I put her out of her misery?

I would just leave her alone for now. if she can move her arms that's a good sign :)

And sometimes the breathing will look different after molting. if she mismolted badly and damaged her ability to breathe, she would probably have died by now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all of your support. How should I keep her hydrated? Just mist above her every now and then?

Latest posts