Mistaken Identity

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

massaman

Reaction score
I had gotten three nymphs and thought they were Rhombodera Longas but they kind of look like hierodula species and wanted to be just see which species is which so maybe someone could help take a look at these pictures and help put my mind at ease!

shieldone.jpg

shieldtwo.jpg

shieldthree.jpg

looks like hierodula or sphodromantis to me.but these are very bad pictures.can you make better ones from the insides of the forearms?i have noticed red in forearms at tisma species,but the rest of the body doesn´t fit xD

regards

EDIT:i just noticed that you called exactly the species longas.i dont really know how this species looks like,but if they are from yen i think you can be sure they are right identified (;

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul, as stated in my email to you, lets wait till these mature into adult. Rhombodera longa doesn't have the shield extended as much as the Rhombodera sp. (Java) currently available.

Your comparison of your Rhombodera sp. with a Hierodula sp. is an interesting one, Paul, but if you used an old dichotomous key, say from before 1990, it can lead you into confusion. Under the new criteria for the two genera, the size of the pronotum is no longer diagnostic. By coincidence, I think the Rob Byatt thought that a a Rhombodera sp. (crassus, if I remember) was a Hierodula sp. on another forum, some years back, but it seems that he, too, was using an old key.

I tend to agree with whoever said that, as a rule, it is pretty safe to follow Yen's Dx :D

Latest posts