Mistakes are a tradition these days

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Domanating

Reaction score
It's that time of the year again, when my Religiosa ooths start hatching like crazy. Also it's when I make some of the stupidest mistakes. Two years ago, I was convinced the nymphs couldn't get through ventilation holes in terrarium lids but they did, in their dozens.

Last year I duct taped some netting to help them climb. Well, I should know better when it comes to duct tape and insects. These kinds of stupid mistakes are becoming a tradition and this year was no different.

This year is a good year. 5 big ooths hatched entirely and now I have a few hundred mantids roaming around. This year I decided to keep them all together in a big enclosure 'au naturel'. Meaning there's soil, plants growing, all types of decomposer insects keeping the enclosure clean and alive while also being food for the mantids plus the extra fruit flies and aphids I give them.

Amongst the green,I planted a few bean plants. "Why on Earth would you put bean plants in the enclosure?" You may ask. Good question, glad you asked.

Not only they are tall and provide an excellent porch for the nymphs but they also attract aphids, lots of them. So I can grab a few aphids from the beans I grow in my garden and put them in my enclosure where they would live and reproduce happily and provide a great deal of food without me moving a finger.

Unfortunately for my complete and utter surprise I would never, ever have guessed how dangerous those plants where to my nymphs until they hatched and used them as a porch. And here's the result:

DSCN9913.jpg

They are all stuck together like glue. The very fine hairs covering the plant stick very well to them and they just can't free themselves out. I went through the grueling process of freeing every single nymph from the plant with a needle. Took me nearly an hour I guess. Only 3 nymphs died as a direct result of this, unable to move baked in the sun.

Now my enclosure lacks green. i need to find something else as a substitute.

From all the mistakes I made in my mantid care history, this one takes the cake as the most surprising one.

Good to know. I never would of thought bean plant would be a insect trap. Aphids getting by, makes me wonder if ladybugs and their larve are able to move around. As well as ant species.

Oh wow, I would have never thought of that. Googling bean leaves, it appears they have structures on their leaves called trichomes that puncture and insnare small insects. Apparently they have even been found to be useful, natural tools for catching bed bugs.

Good to know. I never would of thought bean plant would be a insect trap. Aphids getting by, makes me wonder if ladybugs and their larve are able to move around. As well as ant species.
I can confirm ants can go around easily on the plant. Damn those Argentine ants...

I may answer to ladybug part as soon as I find one.

Edit: I suspect very small insects like aphids and argentine ants can bypass the hairs or trichomes as Krissim mentioned (nice info btw). Large bugs obviously are too strong to get stuck. If I'm right probably the ladybug won't be able to move around properly.

Edit: I put some bean plants near fruit bowls hoping to get some fruit flies stuck. Unfortunately they aren't affected, which is a real shame.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is ironic for me, the entire reason I got into mantids, was because I wanted to get some to control the Japanese beetle population on my beans! Then I became fascinated with mantids in general.

This is ironic for me, the entire reason I got into mantids, was because I wanted to get some to control the Japanese beetle population on my beans! Then I became fascinated with mantids in general.
LOL... me too! but I have only let older nymphs in my garden so the bean plants have not "caught" them...

But I have not been able to get 1 mantis to eat a Japanese beetle yet!

But I have not been able to get 1 mantis to eat a Japanese beetle yet!
I didn't think mantids would eat a beetle, due to the hardshell. Sounds like I may have a new potential feeder if they will though.

A guy from work swears by them as Japanese beetle control...Chinese mantis of course, maybe it's just that species, or maybe he just doesn't have a problem with Japanese beetles in the first place.

A guy from work swears by them as Japanese beetle control...Chinese mantis of course, maybe it's just that species, or maybe he just doesn't have a problem with Japanese beetles in the first place.
Good to know, I'll give it a shot. The worst that would happen is the mantis would toss it if it didn't like it. ;)

One of my big Hierodula females, H. Venosa, liked them. The apartment complex grounds are not sprayed so they are safe.

Latest posts