Mite Removal

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aesculpius

Reaction score
Mites are becoming a frequent problem for me. Have any of you had any success in removing them from a mantis' face? I've tried knock them off, coating them in honey, and water blasting them off to no success. Shedding does remove them temporarily but I need to be able to remove them as needed.

Only way i found was to start over. Clean and buy some mite paper and mite spray. They are most likley coming from your feeders substrate.

I would be careful with mitepaper. The paper kills by contact and affects all insects. Ive tested the mite paper I make myself and it can kill a cricket that has been exposed to it, though the mantis in the cup on top of the mite paper was okay.

With mites (as with all pests) you have to control their food/breeding source. They need humidity and a grain substrate to breed (usually fruit fly cultures, though I had a great boom from a superworm culture which I accidentally covered and let humidity build up in).

MItes usually won't harm mantis. If the problem become worse, you can try to use predatory mites. These feed ferociously on mites only and is also used as biological control for pest mites on agriculture.

Latest posts