Mite you offer me some advice?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinensispsyched

Reaction score
Got some bad mites on my ff culture, I'm going to purchase mite paper but I don't know how to remove them from the mess they've already made. How should I remove them?

Freeze your cultures and start over with clean stock. Mite paper helps to prevent contamination between cultures but does nothing for those that are already infested.

Tony I bought some mite paper a little while ago but don't know how to use it properly...I kno its an insecticide...and want to line my empty cup and containers/ tops and lids bc that's where I keep my ff cultures....is this ok? Or should I just put my ff cultures on the mite paper and leave the containers somewhere else?

Lay the paper on your shelf and sit the culture cups on it. Exposing the interior of the cup will kill the fruit flies as well as the mites, and even if some flies survived feeding them off would expose your mantids.

Use it like he said, will be viable for 3 mts unless you are really infected, leave for 6 wks. I do have something for inside the cultures, but unless you are good with using it, it will just kill the flies, not worth the trouble.

Lay the paper on your shelf and sit the culture cups on it. Exposing the interior of the cup will kill the fruit flies as well as the mites, and even if some flies survived feeding them off would expose your mantids.
Use it like he said, will be viable for 3 mts unless you are really infected, leave for 6 wks. I do have something for inside the cultures, but unless you are good with using it, it will just kill the flies, not worth the trouble.
Alright, thank you both!

How do you know if you have mites? What are the (visual?) symptoms? What draws them in the first place??

Older cultures seems to gather them, mites are said to float on air, hope not! But, I say excelsior, a wood product carries them, others say other things, Really haven't had the time to ask a mite, but I go with my first thought. Since I don't use excelsior other than in shipping, I seem to keep them at bay.

Mites are very tiny, hard to see when first started, but stare at a culture for a long time, picking out suspicious spots, (white) if they seem to be moving, it is prob mite. Maggots, are like splinters of wood, in that they are not really rounded like a mite, maggots move slow to when that tiny, but for some reason, eyes can tell the diff, and will tell your mind they are maggots vs mites. I am not being funny, this is actually how I tell them apart. Also when you have mites and never paid any attention to them, either by not looking or never crossed your mind, when they take over and you go to pick up a culture, your hands will tell you there is something wrong. You will actually feel them all over the cup. By then it's too late, you are infested. Now you know what I know.!

they are grain mites everywhere. You may get rid of them and they will be back. I have never recieved a ff culture that didnt have them when they arrived. I dont bother with them. i just dump them out when i remove all flies to a new culture.

Latest posts