Mites...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbugir

Reaction score
Recently found mites on my FF cultures... only the vials so far seem to be affected. My concern is that do these hurt mantids... as well as dogs. I know mites can cause mange, but are these the same mites that cause it? I hope not, because my dog recently has been licking his paws to redness. We took him to the vet and she said he had a fungal infection. Anyway, what should i do w/ the cultures... in the sense of, are they still useable? And do they affect dogs?

Thanks

The shouldn't. If they are only in the vial cultures throw them out now before they spread. I've had mites a few times and they are very common. Might want to get some mite paper to set your cultures on. Also they may have been in the cultures when you got them so you may want to get your flies from another vendor.

Sometimes they just appear, they might of come from anywhere, especially older cultures, but do as Rick says.

Not the same mites, there are thousands of different species of mites around us everyday,..... grain mites as the culture prob has, cheese mites, dog mites, cat mites, people mites, yeast mites, plant mites and the list goes on, prob more mites in the world than air!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not worry. Some of my cultures from time to time have mites. I think the fruit fly mites are only species specific. I doubt they will do any harm to you or your pets. I could be wrong of course. :unsure:

Stupid little things :angry: I think 'mite season' is in bloom because my ff culture is also infected. Says here: Drosophila Husbandry Methods, that some mites are simply competitors for food, whilst others attack ff larvae & pupae. I don't think they can cause any direct damage to a mantid. They can lay eggs on it & annoy it to buggery. I noticed one of my mantids was acting very strange flailing this way & that before I noticed a mite crawling on its forearms. They're edible, I know that much. Chuck the culture & quarantine a few uninfected flies to start again.

Poo. Well either way, my flies outnumber these mites easily, but im surprised Im getting them here in CO, ambient humidity is like 10%, its so dry... Hmm.

Latest posts