Mites?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright, so from what I have read the small white mites dry out the cultures so that the eggs dont hatch, but how about pupae?

Interesting. I have never heard of this. Do you have a link?
Post #8.

The only reason why I am asking is because I have hundreds of hydei pupae with lots and lots of tiny white mites. About 2 dozen hydei have hatched in the last few days so I was curious to see if the mites were the reason or maybe I just need to be more patient.

Post #8.

The only reason why I am asking is because I have hundreds of hydei pupae with lots and lots of tiny white mites. About 2 dozen hydei have hatched in the last few days so I was curious to see if the mites were the reason or maybe I just need to be more patient.
Yeah. grain mites are vegetarians, though they like a little yeast/mold on the side. Usually, though, they like very moist conditions. As a matter of interest, do you use oatmeal, masa flour or potato flakes as the basis of your hydei food? They should prefer the first two to the last, I'll keep my fingers crossed that the rest of yr flies hatch. :D

Yeah. grain mites are vegetarians, though they like a little yeast/mold on the side. Usually, though, they like very moist conditions. As a matter of interest, do you use oatmeal, masa flour or potato flakes as the basis of your hydei food? They should prefer the first two to the last, I'll keep my fingers crossed that the rest of yr flies hatch. :D
I use oatmeal, applesauce, bananas, yeast, sugar and vinegar mixed together. I had hundred maybe even thousands of larvae crawling around the past several weeks but barely anything is making it past pupation.

I use oatmeal, applesauce, bananas, yeast, sugar and vinegar mixed together. I had hundred maybe even thousands of larvae crawling around the past several weeks but barely anything is making it past pupation.
maybe it mold idk :(

Ive never noticed mites in with any of my mantids. (I guess that doesnt mean they arent there though.) If they bother you that much you might be able to clean out their containers and try using something other than paper on the insides. I dont know if it will work but cant hurt to try. :)

Latest posts