Mites

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

julian camilo

people who culture fruit flies or buy their own cultures will probably be familiar with the scourge of mites. i was thinking just now though, has anyone tried using them as food for hatchlings? sometimes they completely overrun fruit fly cultures but their size and abundance seems to make them a great food source. anyone tried it/know why you shouldnt? just wondering. thanks.

as in them infesting cultures or feeding them? because if youve never had them infesting cultures then lucky you/well done, but what would you say to feeding them to hatchling mantids?

i heard they are like ants, as in they would bundle their food and eat it. im not sure thouhg. could be good food for really tiny mantid nymphs

I've seen mites before but I think it would be very difficult to feed them to anything. They are tiny.

I hate mites. Look at them more like a parasite than food for mantis eventhough they don't bother mantis at all. Mites move slowly and that may not attract mantis attention as a food source. i have never tried to feed them to mantis before.

I have fed B. borealis mites before because the L1 B. borealis nymphs are VERY timid. The mites that I fed them were wild caught but I have never had mite invasions. :D

Latest posts