Mold growing in my mantis tank

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatSoucy

Reaction score
So I recently moved my Giant African Mantis into a bigger enclosure since he outgrew his old one. But I noticed mold growing in the bottom, I cleaned all the mold i saw out and then when I woke up the next morning I saw the mold growing on his wooden sticks. I'm currently cleaning everything in a bleach and water solution and soaking his wood and after they dry I will bake them. But will the mold come back? How do i prevent this from happening? It's it common?

You may want to sterilize his sticks in the oven, to kill any possible spores or mold growth. Also, make sure the cage has proper ventilation because of potential moisture build-up. 

Yeah I cut a hole on the side of my giant asian's enclosure to insure airflow from the top as well as from the side. It sounds like either poor ventilation or too much moisture in there. When you mist the enclosure the water should evaporate within 30 seconds or so. Also when you mist, perhaps aim for the side and avoid moisture on the wood. I like to keep things on the dryer side, I mist once a day on the side and I've never had any issues. 

In addition light plays a role in mold growth as well, if you use heating lights then you already have that taken care of but if you use heating pads then maybe a few LEDs or placing it where more natural light might help out.  But still the biggest factors will still be moisture and ventilation

Latest posts