Molt problems

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bdawg

Reaction score
Not posted in a while, but just a little update to see if I can get advice. My pair of Egyptian miomantis paykulli are still going, one very well, the other, almost half the size, and pale in comparison with little appetite, especially after the recent molt problem where they had to be held upright until they finished molting, after I found them on the floor of their habitat. Still alive, with one injured leg that didn't heal right, hopefully will fix itself after the next molt which should be soon, but I think they may not have the strength to molt since they haven't been eating, possibly eaten a fly every few days, or the fly has got away. I can't even get them to eat honey, I less I piss them off by sticking it in their face a little or coating one of their arms so they lick it off. I have even ordered smaller flies to see if that's the case, so they don't feel threatened in their vulnerable state by the fully grown fruit flies. Any tips for nursing a sick mantis back to health? They just don't seem to want to eat. Is that just a sign of the inevitable?

Maybe the smaller one's male? Sorry to hear they had trouble molting. I'm not sure whats wrong, mine were eating hydei happily since their first molt. I have noticed some nymphs prefer eating melanogaster if missing or injured leg though. How many flies do you think they are eating cause mine are all eating a few a day.

Maybe the smaller one's male? Sorry to hear they had trouble molting. I'm not sure whats wrong, mine were eating hydei happily since their first molt. I have noticed some nymphs prefer eating melanogaster if missing or injured leg though. How many flies do you think they are eating cause mine are all eating a few a day.
The healthy one has been eating maybe one large fruit fly a day, but they're miomantis paykulli and they are much bigger than the mantis head, but the injured one isn't eating much, maybe one every few days since injured. 

Latest posts