Molting Concerns with Spiny Flower

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowerHobo

Reaction score
My SFM, Whiskey, hasn’t molted in 45 days. He/she (I can’t tell) is L6 right now, and acting completely normally, but I’m wondering about the fact that his/her abdomen ALWAYS seems plump. Like post-feeding or pre-molt plump. It never seems to flatten out. She’s in a room that’s about 78-80f to encourage metabolism and digestion, but no molt and no thinning out. I’ve found him/her on the bottom of the container a couple times, but I think it’s just wandering, as it’s always right back to the side or the lid a short while later.

Do SFMs just sort of always look more plump than other species, or should I be worried?

931-F1504-8-B2-A-492-F-ADF5-BF402-CF085-CC.jpg

I don't know. I've been into spinies a week. That's it. I do notice they come down and walk upright a bit. All my spinies have plump bellies. Maybe that's part of how they are? 

Let's not talk about my recent experience waiting for a nymph to molt. It was about that long, but for a young Mio gal.

Man, i'm a bummer hey? 😂

Last edited by a moderator:
My one Miomantis caffra gal, just never molted in my possession. I got her as an L4.

Her brothers have no problems to date, but she ate and drank, everything looked good, but simply failed to molt.

Eventually she stopped eating, got weak, and died. It took a week, week and a half from when she stopped eating.

Her belly did get very flat though, which ties into your OP. I tried everything.

That is a long time not to have molted! I think you can expect a molt anytime now. 

- MantisGirl13

Idk what's going on, but I'd say just keep taking care of her until she molts, or dies. If she doesn't molt for too long, it could mean that something is wrong internally. I have a creo like that right now. He is L3, and his siblings are L5.

- MantisGirl13

I thought Ayaweya needed to molt and now i see her eating again. (I tossed Aurenes grasshopper with her because I had hands full with homes cleaning en I was doing hers) I forgot to take grasshopper out and now I am seeing Ayaweya eating it.

Yay! Congrats on the molt!!!!!!!!! I am so glad (s)he finally molted! Show us a pic of its abdomen, and we can tell you if it is male or female!

- MantisGirl13

Show us a pic of its abdomen, and we can tell you if it is male or female!
It's really hard to get a picture that's in focus, especially since me house is fairly dim, so the camera always wants to brighten everything up, which makes him/her just a white smudge. This was about the best I can do, from the side. I personally can't see the segments here, myself.

564-CD61-C-75-A8-4-C5-D-A937-7119-DA82-A5-EF.jpg

I've had a bunch of Spinies and they take some time to turn adults especially the females. If she is acting normal and eating, then she is acting normal. Just give her some time.

Latest posts