Molting correction unsuccessful?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beatsnotbombs

Reaction score
I had a ghost mantis that had a shorter leg but is still a bit behind in comparison to the thee legs. The other legs have large leaf-like protrusions, but this leg is slightly smaller and the leaf like protrusion have been the same since two molts ago. I'm starting to believe that the regeneration rumor is a little less than completely true ): Does anyone have any stories or pictures of mismolts that have got progressively better? Just curious! Thanks.

All of my mantids that lost a leg or something grew some or all of it back. Maybe the molt is stuck on your mantis's leg so the leg does not grow.

Usually it doesn't fully grow back , it generally just looks like a smaller leg.

As long as its still healthy there is nothing to worry about

I had an Idolo with 3 legs that made it through one molt and got a "stub". It fell during it's next molt, and being beyond help, unfortunately, became a "special" item on the cham menu.

Sometimes you get a full leg back and other times you don't.

I have an L-4 Idolo with three legs, thus it is called "Tripod". I believe the next molt is commencing, and I will report how it comes out, with nothing, a partial leg, or a new leg. My bet is nothing, but a stubby leg is possible. It gets around fine without the four walking leg.

I had an L2 "Tripod" (S viridis) who now has all legs and they are perfect, 2 molts later. A Creo missing part of a raptorial hasn't grown any of it back on a subsequent molt, however.

i had a mangled chinese nymph that had the dreaded bent abdomen and he couldnt eat because his raptorals were pretty messed up.

His thorax was also bent to the left.

But after 2 molts he has made a complete recovery.

One of my H. Majusculas had some exoskeleton holding its antenna together after a molt. After I took it off its antenna almost completely fell off. It just molted today and one antenna grew back and the other came half way back. My other H. Majuacula is really jacked up. Its hanging from two legs and I had to tape a third leg to the top of enclosure. I left a little exoskeleton on the leg to tape it. I expect it to molt any day so I'll let you know how it goes.

Latest posts