Molting environment: can it be TOO humid?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenBean

Reaction score
I've not been having great luck with molting in captivity with Chinese and California mantids. My rate of success is probably about 50/50. I am making sure they are suspended properly, kept still, plenty humid, right temp, and there is no live food in cage. Still, they might fall, or exo gets stuck and causes deformity. Ideas?

Also: I notice a lot of people in forum are still able to "save" a mantid from a bad molt. I have not been able to do this (except for a few days) despite my best efforts (tweezer feeding, encouragement, sleeping by my bedside. Don't laugh. I know you do it, too!). It seems that even if they have the slightest issues (like females whose wings are crumpled, but legs and body fine otherwise), they sort of "give up." Seriously. I get this pathetic creature lying on its side with forelegs closed. It's as if a bad molt affects the bug in ways other than what is immediately obvious. Care to expound?

Thanks in advance!

Please post in the correct forum. I've had to move several of your posts. Thanks.

I think it can be too wet, but do not know if yours is. They mismolt for so many reasons, you just have to keep trying to find out what works best with your setup and weather conditions in your room.

btw, did u go mantis hunting today ? :tt2:

The usual cause for mismolts besides humidity is enclosure height. If your enclosure isn't 3 times the length of your mantis in height, you may experience a mismolt, or also if there are too many things in the enclosure that don't allow them to dangle properly when they molt. Too humid is when I see mold :lol: That's the point at which I back off a bit, but I'm stubborn like that....

Ugh, sometimes they just mismolt. For no apparent reason. The wierdest mismolt save I've ever had was a Texas Unicorn. He was one of two males. The other male molted perfectly to adult and died a couple days later for no obvious reason. This one was molting to sub-adult and I happened to be home and was able to save him.

He started to molt and was about 1/4 of the way through when his rear legs lost their grip and he couldn't molt in the proper posture. So his legs molted ok but his face and arms were stuck in the exo-skeleton. I had to cut the exo between the arms and head and pull as much as I could off with tweezers before it dried out again. He did live. I had to hand feed him through his last instar and his antenae were never perfect after that but he was the sole male survivor of his ooth. B) :D

He did live. I had to hand feed him through his last instar and his antenae were never perfect after that but he was the sole male survivor of his ooth. B) :D

Thanks for your reply. Wondering: Did he live out the expected remainder of his life?

Last edited by a moderator:
Please post in the correct forum. I've had to move several of your posts. Thanks.
My apologies for causing you inconvenience. I honestly thought it was the job of the administrators to determine what forum was most appropriate for a post. In fact, if I ever got it right before, it was by coincidence, and what is more, I am no more knowledgeable now as a result of your answer. Care to enlighten me (guessing this isn't the first time you've had to point this out to someone)? Also.... any chance you can shed some light on my question?? thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it can be too wet, but do not know if yours is. They mismolt for so many reasons, you just have to keep trying to find out what works best with your setup and weather conditions in your room.

btw, did u go mantis hunting today ? :tt2:
Oh, always! Still hoping to find that one that surprises me when I'm sure they're done for the season! Thought so last week, then found one at a higher elevation, thus colder (even more surprising), and just finishing her last molt!! She's as healthy as she can be, gorgeous. What a thrill for this bug geek!!

The usual cause for mismolts besides humidity is enclosure height. If your enclosure isn't 3 times the length of your mantis in height, you may experience a mismolt, or also if there are too many things in the enclosure that don't allow them to dangle properly when they molt. Too humid is when I see mold :lol: That's the point at which I back off a bit, but I'm stubborn like that....
Thanks for pointing out the enclosure issues. In retrospect, I think I've been doing OK in this regard, but I will pay careful attention from now on. Makes a lot of sense. I am curious...what percentage of your molts have been successful, would you say (of the times you feel you've done everything right)? Appreciate your reply!

Latest posts