Molting from top of cage

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SneakyPsycho

Reaction score
My wild-caught European mantis decided to molt from the top of his cage rather than do so from one of the many sticks in his habitat. The first time he molted he was perfect besides one of his antenna being slightly curled due to how close he was to the side of the cage. I'm worried about him falling once he finishes molting, since the only thing he is attached to right now is is old skin.. So far, he looks great except one of the back legs is wildly curled. I've heard plenty of bad stories about owners interfering with the molting process, so is it best to just let him be for now? Thanks.

*He managed to right himself and is now hanging from the top of the cage with 5 legs. The other one is straight until the joint but the lower half of the leg is rounded to the point that it will not function properly. The wings appeared last molt and are now pretty messy, but I'm not as concerned about the wings right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1

Usually it takes a little longer for the wings to fully develope. I am assuming that it molted to adult. If this is so the curled leg will not correct itself, but it should be fine. Most of my mantids prefer to molt from the top instead of some other thing like a stick.

Last edited by a moderator:
he is fine and this is normal

as time progresses he will fix the wings ;)
The wings are crumpled up right after the last molt but will unfurl. If you're saying they are crumpled up hours after the molt there is no fixing that as was mentioned above. Most mantids will hang out from the cage top and molt there too regardless of what you put in the cage. It is best to remove most cage decor to prevent molting issues. It is normal for a mantis to hang from the old skin for awhile.

You always have to expect a mantis will choose the worst spot to molt from and prepare accordingly. Most species have no trouble molting from the top of the cage (screen, I'm assuming?) but others have more specific needs. It's not good his leg is bent but there's nothing you can do. If it gets in the way he will remove it. Hopefully the wings extended and flattened out. Either way, he will be a good pet. For some reason I always get more attached to the imperfect ones. Maybe because they demand more care, or maybe because I feel responsible - like I failed them. :(

I found a mantis once outside whose wings were crumpled like his were so I assumed that was permanent. I'm sure glad I was wrong! They unraveled and look fine now. The leg is pretty messed up but he is getting around well enough. I think Jaden's new nickname will be Captain Hook from now on heh