molting on floor

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm talking about physical pain, I'm sure they feel discomfort.
Discomfort is part of most definitions of pain, example: "pain: physical suffering or discomfort caused by illness or injury."

I can see where you're coming from but because invertebrates, especially 'bugs' are so much different from humans its very difficult for us to see completely how they may experience the world around them. I would be more likely to respond (positively) to arguments stating that insects/'bugs' have no evolutionary advantage to feeling pain because they don't live long enough to learn from experiences that are damaging towards them unlike higher order animals.

Anyway, like you said, there's no way to know for sure at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Discomfort is part of most definitions of pain, example: "pain: physical suffering or discomfort caused by illness or injury."

I can see where you're coming from but because invertebrates, especially 'bugs' are so much different from humans its very difficult for us to see completely how they may experience the world around them. I would be more likely to respond (positively) to arguments stating that insects/'bugs' have no evolutionary advantage to feeling pain because they don't live long enough to learn from experiences that are damaging towards them unlike higher order animals.

Anyway, like you said, there's no way to know for sure at the moment.
Yes I agree, what I meant by discomfort is something more along the lines of having something sharp lightly poking you or being in a extremely small space.. But the way you described discomfort does make sence.. But no we cannot know for sure.. Well let's leave it at that? I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Good luck with your other nymph.

Latest posts