Molting

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for that info. I would have never guessed he was ready for real flies. I just ordered some. Hopefully he shows some interest in them because he didn't care for the fruit flies.  Another question...what kind of container do you keep yours in? He's in the same container he shipped in. Don't know what else to put him in that isn't way to big.

Thank you for that info. I would have never guessed he was ready for real flies. I just ordered some. Hopefully he shows some interest in them because he didn't care for the fruit flies.  Another question...what kind of container do you keep yours in? He's in the same container he shipped in. Don't know what else to put him in that isn't way to big.
If I am guessing correct, he's sitting on the lid of the container of which he was shipped in. That is a 32 oz deli cup lid and it's a good size for when ghost mantises grow into adults. For Larry's current size though you can use a 2 oz deli cup. I personally just ran to the dollar store and bought some 2.5 oz plastic "shot" cups with lids. Pokes some small holes in them and they worked just fine. These kinds of cups are a tad too small for substrate so I just use a piece of paper towel. Even then they don't really need that and it's probably better not to put anything in the bottom so the feeders don't have anyplace to hide. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha..you couldn't have been more correct. Thats exactly what he does. I do have the 2 Oz deli container. I'll transfer him and see how it goes. My daughter just wanted him to have a better view of things in the big one. But he doesn't really move anyway.

Haha..you couldn't have been more correct. Thats exactly what he does. I do have the 2 Oz deli container. I'll transfer him and see how it goes. My daughter just wanted him to have a better view of things in the big one. But he doesn't really move anyway.
https://spiderpharm.com/store/#!/Housefly-pupae/p/43549165/category=11139736

You can get some cheap housefly pupae from here or try ordering them from @mantisloverguy6000. I believe their cultures may have enough pupae by now but you'd have to talk to them about it. The mantisplace (@hibiscusmile) also has them (and feeding materials for when the flies hatch) although they're a tad pricier. Especially with shipping but I've had good service when I've ordered from her. 

Last edited by a moderator:
https://spiderpharm.com/store/#!/Housefly-pupae/p/43549165/category=11139736

You can get some cheap housefly pupae from here or try ordering them from @mantisloverguy6000. I believe their cultures may have enough pupae by now but you'd have to talk to them about it. The mantisplace (@hibiscusmile) also has them (and feeding materials for when the flies hatch) although they're a tad pricier. Especially with shipping but I've had good service when I've ordered from her. 
my flies laid eggs, so in a week I'll have pupae

Latest posts