Molting

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
Firstly thanks for all the tips and info on my first post super helpful

I just had my first molt last night and all seems well but I was wondering what to do about misting today, the book I have says they need 24 hours to harden but it's been hot here lately and it's set to get to 29 degrees here today and I've been misting twice a day, so I'm wondering if I will need to hold off on the misting while she hardens?

Misting on the same day as a molt is perfectly fine, especially for young nymphs. Adults of larger species take the longest time to recover, but as long as you don't knock them down with the water, it's not harmful to mist them either. "48 hours after molt" is mainly a rule for those large adults - babies will even sometimes eat in the same day as they molt.

^ newb. I wouldn’t listen to this guy. no baby is eating after a molt and I wouldn’t spray either. Do the 24-48 hour method works the best. What are you keeping Chinese mantises dude? Lmfaoooooo😂😂😂

Help the original poster if they need it again, cause they didn't have a part in anything besides the first post. The rest was my bad, don't take it out on somebody else

^ newb. I wouldn’t listen to this guy. no baby is eating after a molt and I wouldn’t spray either. Do the 24-48 hour method works the best. What are you keeping Chinese mantises dude? Lmfaoooooo😂😂😂
Pretty sure you know me lol, I'm one of the admins on MM on Facebook. Plenty of very young nymphs will eat the same day as they molt, it's not nearly as physiologically demanding for them. If you want proof, here's one of my R. extensicollis who molted overnight eating a red runner it just caught. You can also see this happening all the time if you keep many hatchlings in a net cage; misting and feeding them as a group is necessary, and individuals who have molted will often eat and drink later on that day.

Now for older nymphs and adults, they won't want to eat. But I don't know where you got it in your head that spraying is dangerous. Mantises will voluntarily drink from droplets after a molt almost every time. What exactly do you think is dangerous about spraying the same day as a molt? Wild mantises don't just die if they molt in the morning and it rains in the afternoon.
IMG_1585.jpeg

Last edited:
Pretty sure you know me lol, I'm one of the admins on MM on Facebook. Plenty of very young nymphs will eat the same day as they molt, it's not nearly as physiologically demanding for them. If you want proof, here's one of my R. extensicollis who molted overnight eating a red runner it just caught. You can also see this happening all the time if you keep many hatchlings in a net cage; misting and feeding them as a group is necessary, and individuals who have molted will often eat and drink later on that day.

Now for older nymphs and adults, they won't want to eat. But I don't know where you got it in your head that spraying is dangerous. Mantises will voluntarily drink from droplets after a molt almost every time. What exactly do you think is dangerous about spraying the same day as a molt? Wild mantises don't just die if they molt in the morning and it rains in the afternooI never said it was dangerous. Personally I just don’t bother my mantises after a molt if I’m keeping a whole bunch of mantises together in a mesh cage then sure.
Lmao my bad then. trying to feed to soon after can cause mantis to get stressed out.. So personally I don’t like to bother my bugs after a molt the only ones I do that for is the mantises kept in groups.

Lmao my bad then. trying to feed to soon after can cause mantis to get stressed out.. So personally I don’t like to bother my bugs after a molt the only ones I do that for is the mantises kept in groups.
I understand that, and fortunately there are many correct ways to keep mantises. The reason I wanted to say anything here is because, for some situations like babies that desiccate quickly in a room with low humidity, going two days without misting can be dangerous. It's good to have a thorough discussion about though.

I have to say, you were really freakin' rude right off the bat. If I was a new keeper, that kind of treatment would be off-putting. I don't know if you would've treated me differently if we were on a different platform, or if I was more active here, but man, that was so unnecessary.

I understand that, and fortunately there are many correct ways to keep mantises. The reason I wanted to say anything here is because, for some situations like babies that desiccate quickly in a room with low humidity, going two days without misting can be dangerous. It's good to have a thorough discussion about though.

I have to say, you were really freakin' rude right off the bat. If I was a new keeper, that kind of treatment would be off-putting. I don't know if you would've treated me differently if we were on a different platform, or if I was more active here, but man, that was so unnecessary.
everyone can keep their mantises how ever they like. next time I won’t be helping or giving advice to anyone If it all it does it start problems.

Last edited: