Molting

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think a pooter is the only way to control small quantities. I've been using a regular plastic straw with some mesh (panty hose) rubber-banded over the mouth side.

It can be a real pain getting only a few (4-6) Fruit Flies from a 32 oz. culture with 1000s of the dang things doing their own thing (getting out/invading the house), in to a 16 oz. container
I put some finely ground pollen or a little powered sugar in a 16oz and knock in however many fruit flies you think you'll need. Swirl the cup around until the flies are covered with the powder. It clings to their bodies and keeps them from crawling all over the place... and it makes it easier to tap a few into your enclosure. Occasionally swirl the cup again if the flies start climbing out of the cup.

I put some finely ground pollen or a little powered sugar in a 16oz and knock in however many fruit flies you think you'll need. Swirl the cup around until the flies are covered with the powder. It clings to their bodies and keeps them from crawling all over the place... and it makes it easier to tap a few into your enclosure. Occasionally swirl the cup again if the flies start climbing out of the cup.

Interesting. Is the sugar an added nutritional benefit to the nymphs at all? I do know my pre-adult/adult mantids like honey as a treat/remedy.

Is the sugar an added nutritional benefit to the nymphs at all? I do know my pre-adult/adult mantids like honey as a treat/remedy.
I don't think the sugar adds any necessary nutrients, it just makes feeding a little less frustrating. When you tap flies into the enclosures most of the powdered sugar remains in bottom of the cup and the fruit flies just kind of roll out. The mantis will eat with the sugar still clinging, but the sugar coating doesn't last very long and the flies recover. The benefits of offering honey is still debated. I've used a thin consistency liquid of honey and purified water for ailing specimens and it did seem to give them a little boost... whether it was the honey or just simply additional hydration, I have no clue.

I don't think the sugar adds any necessary nutrients, it just makes feeding a little less frustrating. When you tap flies into the enclosures most of the powdered sugar remains in bottom of the cup and the fruit flies just kind of roll out. The mantis will eat with the sugar still clinging, but the sugar coating doesn't last very long and the flies recover. The benefits of offering honey is still debated. I've used a thin consistency liquid of honey and purified water for ailing specimens and it did seem to give them a little boost... whether it was the honey or just simply additional hydration, I have no clue.

Good to know. Might go ahead and give the powdered sugar a try.

I too, dilute honey in a teaspoon with a little bit of spring water and so far, all of my mantids have seemed to love it! At least as a treat. It does seem to give a boost to the ones that aren't doing so well.

I'm convinced that honey boosted one of mine that was failing due to old age for a few days at least.

Good to know. Might go ahead and give the powdered sugar a try.

I too, dilute honey in a teaspoon with a little bit of spring water and so far, all of my mantids have seemed to love it! At least as a treat. It does seem to give a boost to the ones that aren't doing so well.
I tried to give my mantis honey. Looked at me like I was nuts.
Then it tried to eat me, head down on my finger and mouth going back and forth couldn't get a good bite....

I place a small pill bottle in a 32 oz deli cup and a funnel into the pill bottle. I cool off the flies and shake off a few into the funnel, then cap the pill bottle. Pretty much fool proof to shake a few cooled off flies from the pill bottle. Any escapees from the pill bottle wind up in the 32 oz cup and dumped back into the pill nottle before capping it.

Attachments

• IMG_1467.jpg
    IMG_1467.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I place a small pill bottle in a 32 oz deli cup and a funnel into the pill bottle. I cool off the flies and shake off a few into the funnel, then cap the pill bottle. Pretty much fool proof to shake a few cooled off flies from the pill bottle. Any escapees from the pill bottle wind up in the 32 oz cup and dumped back into the pill nottle before capping it.

Do you put the culture in the fridge? For how long?

i generally keep a few spare 32oz cups around, i'll open the culture shake some into an empty cup then if that's too many i'll shake some of those into a 2nd empty cup. ussually after the 2nd shaking it's easy to control the number of flies that come out.

Latest posts