Momma Scorpion

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cryptid

Reaction score
One of my Centruroides hentzi had babies on Sunday and I remember mentioning I had gravid scorpions in a previous post.

Those babies are the size of a grain of rice.

100_2250.JPG

That is lovely! :wub: I love to see babies on a mother scorpions back. They look big. Does the mom still let any stay on her back after they have their first molt?

Awesome, the babies are so freakin plump.
That's because I took good care of the mother and the rest of the group. My animals live better than I do. :huh: As each day goes by they look less gooshy and more like little versions of the mother. When I watch them I can see some of them moving about on the mother and wiggling their tails around.

These are my first bark scorpions so I'm not sure what's going to happen after the first molt, but I'll keep you posted>

This is just an update...

The baby scorpions had their first molt today and as best as I can tell they are all still on the mother's back, although it does look like a few are gone. I am trying not to disturb the mother too much so I am just looking in from as many angles as I can. I keep my pregos and babies in a separate 75 gallon tank that I have set-up to control the temperature and heat and humidity, and thus am not able to really keep an exact eye on them.

I can definitely say though that they have had their first molt --- since being born.

Updates as they arrive...

I have always wondered if the mom uses her pedipalps to hand the babies food, or if the babies come down to get some from the substrate or her mouth. Have you seen the feeding behavior of the babies? I am just curious and am not sure if I want to get a female for my male scorpion.

I have always wondered if the mom uses her pedipalps to hand the babies food, or if the babies come down to get some from the substrate or her mouth. Have you seen the feeding behavior of the babies? I am just curious and am not sure if I want to get a female for my male scorpion.
I'm not that experienced with American Bark Scorpions but so far a lot of the babies have already dispersed and they are starting to eat on their own. This morning I threw some fruit flies into the container and saw several of the babies running around with them in their mouths. So they are already starting to hunt. What's funny is that they take off and run around but still wonder back to the mother and climb all over her. Who knows what's going on, but it looks like I have about 16-17 of them.

Years ago when I used to keep Emperor Scorpions I actually saw the mother tear up a cricket and hand it back to the babies that were still on her back.

That is pretty cool that the Emperor actually dismembered the cricket. I might just have to get a female now. :lol:

Latest posts