Monster Bug Wars

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MantidLord

Reaction score
Okay guys, I'm sure a lot of you have heard of Monster Bug Wars, the show that talks about various arthropods and shows them in a "natural" confrontation, breaking down their strengths, weaknesses, biology, etc. Soooo for those of you who may not have heard or watched a clip, here's one featuring a "moss mantis" vs a tiger beetle. Does anyone know what species that mantis is? It reminds me of Toxodera (sp) but I'm not sure, just curious. Oh, and Dr. Rayor is my insect behavior professor!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLHDG5bwrdo

I watched another season 2 episode the other day. Is it me, or have the toned down the cheesy sound effects a little? Maybe they took our advice to heart. I saw a segment that featured a tarantula and a roach. Gee, I wonder who will win that fight?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you post a link to the other thread? Limited mobility on my phone

Yes they did tone down on the stupid effects, screams and sword sounds made the show almost unbearable, even my prof said they cut the stupid sounds out.

Thanks for the info, is that an adult?

Looks like an adult male Pseudo. The way the wings go off to the sides but're too big to be wing buds makes me think adult male.

I haven´t seen adult Pseudoacanthops, but I have seen adult acanthops, and the one in the vid, didn´t seem to be adult for me....

nice Vid.... I could rest when I saw the mantis won :D .

Last edited by a moderator:
Deffo sub male

Wat about the bark lichen one? Was that a theopompa or something? Anyways the thing I hate about the sound effects is an insect doesn't really make that kinda noise when it attacks something else

Also I think it's funny when they put something against a spider and say one of its predators is a spider- I wonder who's gonna win lol

Then they throw an insect into a spider web and expect it to win against it

I wish they went out into nature and filmed it instead of staging the fights :(

Latest posts