More breeding questions :D

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MantisMart

Reaction score
Hi. I have some breeding questions.

1. How exactly do pheromones work for female mantids? Do they release pheromones immediately once matured, or only when ready to mate? Is this the reason the male wants to mate? Meaning if she wasn't releasing the scent, he wouldn't want to mate?

2. If every thing is right, the male should mate right? Like there shouldn't be random days where the male or female just doesn't really feel like mating. 

3. I have a male and female Chinese mantis, both within the 1 month into maturity mark. The male is currently kept in a different room than the female, they're well fed, i'm doing the tutorial for breeding pinned to this topic. Am I missing any steps here?

Thanks for taking the time. :)  

1. Once the female is sexually mature, she will release pheromones to attract males. When kept in captivity, the pheromones can't be blown around by the wind, so they become very concentrated. If a male is kept in the same room as a female, he will become used to the pheromones after a bit and not want to mate. 

2. Unfortunately, the mantids can be finicky and there are days where they don't want to mate, days where the female is super aggressive, days when the male wants to do nothing but mate, etc. The trick is trying to mate them often enough to find a day where they are both receptive. 

3. Sounds like you're doing things as well as you can! Good luck!

- MantisGirl13 

1. Once the female is sexually mature, she will release pheromones to attract males. When kept in captivity, the pheromones can't be blown around by the wind, so they become very concentrated. If a male is kept in the same room as a female, he will become used to the pheromones after a bit and not want to mate. 

2. Unfortunately, the mantids can be finicky and there are days where they don't want to mate, days where the female is super aggressive, days when the male wants to do nothing but mate, etc. The trick is trying to mate them often enough to find a day where they are both receptive. 

3. Sounds like you're doing things as well as you can! Good luck!

- MantisGirl13 
Thanks for answering my questions. Its hard to look in my derpy mantid's eyes and imagine her eating the male. Ill try to protect the male as much as possible.

Latest posts