More Ghosts hatching (Video)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a source of much musing around the office. We mantid folk are such a small community, with real reasons to be fearful of expansion - at least until someone can champion legislation to make this hobby Kosher. So what happens when the "market" gets saturated with something like Ghosts, that were previously rare (or seemed so)...? Does the market move on to something else (say Idols) as the big ticket item...? People seem to move from one species to another, so is this true for breeders as well...?
the thing is this, markets do change and grow for many reasons. they also do decine at times for vastly different reasons. (too many to list and or speak of rigt now)

yet there is always room for more begginer pets such as ghosts because there will always be a new batch of keepers that can't aford high priced and rare at the moment pets in the beginning of their hobbie.

price and ease of care are the main factors that new hobbiests are looking for regardless that they might not be rare. they just want them to be "eye cathing" or pleasing to them selfs and don't care if the breeder or hobbiest that they get them from doesn't make a dime on them.

most newbies are not looking to breed anything. they just want a pet. breeding to maintain their hobbie such as short lived mantids are an after thought of once they get them. on long life animals, they will prob not breed at all and just buy another.

what the new hobbiest dosn't think about in advance is two things:

1) truly how much care is involved to keep them...think about the first time you want to go away on vacation and now you can't find anyone to care for your pets when you go away with the whole family.

2) the hobbie that they are geting into can be addicting. thus, they wind up with plenty of things that can take over the home and wind up on the TV show "horders". not a joke folks.

If hobbyists (re: NOT breeders) like me have population explosions, and give them away, am I ruining it for people who want to at least offset their food costs by selling nymphs...? Or does the constant influx of new people mean a stable market...?
I do have plans to "give away" some future nymps if I am lucky enough to do so. but only to ultra close friends that give away stuff to me...just like traiding.

but to others, I feel that if I don't charge something reasonible such as an "adoption fee", I know full well that the buyer will not take proper care of the new pet in general. not everyone cares the same about their pets. yet I'm not saying that anyone who is not obsessive about it is doing a bad job...because being too obsessed is bad for the owner as well.

giving away babies of anything hurts breeders/hobbiests from selling their extra stock. yet they wont normaly feel it. the community might be small, but it is not as small as the members of this forum. for every one member that regularly comes here each day, there are 20 that stop by from time to time. then there are the ones who never go online at all, never mind come here for added info.

Bottom-line: I don't know for sure. I'm pretty certain I'll stop doing ghosts this generation, so maybe I'll find a home for the new colony at a zoo or museum...? Something that keeps them "out of the market" but still serves some noble(ish) purpose...PS: 40 days!?! I thought it was longer than that! ######!
good luck. but I would keep some just incase you have an explotion of wild FF population in your house...adding 1 per delli cup with a piece of orange in it makes a great FF trap to be placed around your home. just add holes in the delli cup for the FF to get in and I'm telling you it works like a charm. yet I'm sure most of you already know that. :p

Harry

I'm still keeping africans,carolinas,and some chinese i hatched.I dont feel confident enough yet for exotics,but some day...........